7 tonnes ammonium nitrate, detonators seized in MaharahstraDecember 18th, 2010 - 5:23 pm ICT by IANS
Kolhapur (Maharashtra), Dec 18 (IANS) The Kolhapur district police Saturday seized nearly seven tonnes of ammonium nitrate and 50 electronic detonators - two key ingredients for making explosives - and nabbed two people, a police official said.Acting on a tip-off, police swooped down on a warehouse on the outskirts of the town and found 6.90 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, according to police chief Yashasvi Yadav.
Yadav said 50 electronic detonators were transported here from Sangli in a Tata Indica car without valid license or documents.
“As per our investigations, the ammonium nitrate and detonators have been brought here from Sangli. We have arrested two people, including the warehouse owner,” Yadav said.
He said that the intended destination or the purpose of the huge quantity of explosive chemicals was also being probed in view of the current circumstances, but declined to speculate on the name of any group which could be involved in the matter.
Incidentally, Sangli, from where the police say the ammonium nitrate was brought to Kolhapur, is the home district of state home minister R.R.Patil.
- Explosives seized from Maoist hideout - Jan 25, 2011
- Man held with explosives, may have Maoist links - Sep 20, 2011
- Five arrested with explosives - Aug 04, 2011
- Man held with explosives in Chhattisgarh - Jun 14, 2011
- Huge explosives haul made in Jharkhand - Feb 02, 2012
- Two held with explosives in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 05, 2010
- Two arrested with heroin in Maharashtra town - Jan 01, 2011
- Four explosives recovered, two held in Assam - Jan 25, 2012
- Maoist arms supplier held with 40 kg explosives - May 19, 2010
- UP police arrests one for supplying arms to Maoists - May 21, 2010
- 80 bags of ammonium nitrate seized in Jharkhand - Sep 10, 2011
- Arms recovered from Maoist hideout in Bihar - Oct 20, 2010
- Maharashtra urges people to tip off police on adulteration - Jan 28, 2011
- Explosives, detonators seized in Maharashtra - Feb 19, 2010
- Man held with explosives in Chhattisgarh - Feb 26, 2011