7 pilots killed in 19 MiG-21 crashes since 2005August 11th, 2010 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) Seven pilots were killed in 19 crashes involving MiG-21 planes of the Indian Air Force (IAF) since 2005, parliament was informed Wednesday.
“Since April 2005, a total of 19 MiG-21 aircraft of the IAF have crashed. Seven pilots were killed in the crashes,” Defence Minister A.K. Antony said in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.
In reply to another question in the upper house, Antony said the number of accidents involving IAF aircraft “has not gone up”
“Thirteen accidents occurred during 2008-09, 14 accidents during 2009-10 and two accidents have taken place during the current year up to Aug 5,” he said.
The minister said that every IAF air crash was investigated by a court of inquiry. “Accidents are due to reasons like technical defects and human error.”
He said phasing out of planes was “contingent upon various factors like technical life of the aircraft and operational requirements of the IAF” and that it was reviewed from “time to time”.
- Antony contradicts air force chief on plane crashes - Dec 12, 2011
- India lost over half of its 872 MiG jets in 40 years - May 02, 2012
- 33 combat planes lost in four years (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Four years, 33 combat plane crashes, 27 MIGs lost - Mar 19, 2012
- IAF has lost 999 planes in crashes since 1970 - Aug 03, 2011
- Yet another MiG-21 crashes, pilot bails out - Oct 07, 2011
- IAF loses another MiG-21, pilot safe (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- Accident-prone MiG-21 to be flown only by experienced pilots: IAF - Sep 01, 2011
- IAF lost 40 planes, 16 pilots since 2008 - Feb 23, 2011
- IAF's MiG fighter crashes, pilot safe (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2011
- Fighter jet crashes in northwestern India, killing the pilot - Aug 02, 2011
- IAF MiG-27 crashes in Rajasthan, pilot safe (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Two die in IAF plane crash (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Will ground MiG-29 if needed: Indian Navy chief - Jun 24, 2011
- MiG-21 crashes in Punjab, pilot safe - Sep 06, 2011
Tags: accidents, air crash, antony, april 2005, crashes, defence minister, human error, iaf, indian air force, mig 21 aircraft, New Delhi, operational requirements, parliament, planes, rajya sabha, reply, upper house