7 child labourers drown in RajasthanApril 10th, 2012 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, April 10 (IANS) Seven child labourers were drowned as the boat carrying them capsized in a pond in Rajasthan’s Dungarpur district Tuesday, police said.
The incident took place near Chitari town in the district, some 500 km from state capital Jaipur.
“The boat was overloaded as it was carrying 18 labourers who were on their way to a brick manufacturing unit for work. Most of them were child labourers,” a police officer said.
The boat was being used to ferry several labourers from nearby villagers every day to work in brick-manufacturing units situated on the opposite bank of the pond.
He added that seven of the deceased were girls aged between 13 and 17 years.
The other 11 labourers were rescued by villagers and rescue teams roped in by the district administration.
“The rescue operation continued for almost five hours as the divers tried to locate the bodies of those who had drowned,” said the officer.
- Four women die as boat capsizes in Assam - Apr 24, 2012
- Bihar boat capsize toll rises to 21 - Sep 11, 2012
- Four killed, 10 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar - Aug 10, 2012
- Five killed, 10 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Eleven killed, over 25 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Six killed, 20 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar - Sep 10, 2012
- 13 die as boat capsizes (Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- Six women dead in boat capsize - Mar 04, 2011
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- Two boys drown in pond in Rajasthan - Aug 18, 2012
- 25 dead as boat capsizes in Uttar Pradesh (Third Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- 18 dead, 20 missing as boat capsizes in Uttar Pradesh (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Two young boys drown in a Rajasthan pond - Aug 10, 2012
- Boat capsizes in West Bengal, two missing - Jan 19, 2011
- Two more children drown in pond in Rajasthan - Aug 19, 2012