69 convicted in fodder scamMay 3rd, 2012 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 3 (IANS) A CBI court Thursday convicted 69 people and acquitted 16 in the multi-crore fodder scam. Twenty-nine people have been sentenced to one to three years imprisonment and fined between Rs.25,000 and Rs.2 lakh.
The quantum of sentence against the others will be pronounced on May 7.
The court announced its judgment on case RC 31 A/96 relating to the fraudulent withdrawal of over Rs.45 crore from the Doranda treasury here in the early 1990s
There were 111 accused in Animal Husbandry Department scam (also known as the fodder scam). Some of the accused had died during long the trial and many others had turned Central Bureau of Investigation approvers.
Former Bihar chief ministers Lalu Yadav and Jaggnath Mishra are accused in five cases related to the scam. Their trial is on in CBI courts in Ranchi. Yadav had to quit as the chief minister in 1997 after an arrest warrant was issued against him.
The fodder scam hit the headlines in the 1990s in undivided Bihar, when officials and politicians were accused of illegally withdrawing crores of rupees of public money in the guise of purchasing cattle fodder.
A total of 61 cases were filed in the scam and 53 were transferred to Jharkhand after the new state was carved out of Bihar in 2000.
Different CBI courts in Ranchi have passed judgments in 41 cases.
- Fodder scam: Petition filed to make Nitish Kumar an accused - Sep 07, 2012
- 4 to 7 years' jail for 40 convicted in fodder scam case - May 07, 2012
- 64 people sentenced in fodder scam (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Fodder scam: 34 get 1 to 6 years - May 05, 2012
- Fodder scam: 64 convicts get jail terms in one case (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- 26 get 1-5 years' jail terms for fodder scam - Feb 02, 2012
- Paswan wants Nitish Kumar to quit over fodder scam - Sep 08, 2012
- Lalu and Mishra appear in CBI court on fodder scam case - Feb 14, 2012
- Fodder scam case: Lalu to appear in court Tuesday (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Ranchi court convicts 64 in fodder scam - Jan 31, 2012
- Fodder scam: Lalu, Jagannath statements to be recorded - Feb 02, 2012
- 12 officials get five years' jail in fodder scam case - Dec 02, 2010
- Fodder scam: Key facts - Jan 31, 2012
- 12 get four to six years' jail in fodder scam case - Dec 03, 2010
- Lalu, Mishra deny charges in fodder scam case (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: animal husbandry, arrest warrant, cattle, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, chief ministers, crore, crores, early 1990s, fodder scam, guise, imprisonment, judgments, mishra, public money, quantum, rs 2, rupees, yadav