28 killed in suicide attack on Indian embassyJuly 7th, 2008 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, July 7 (Xinhua) At least 28 people were killed and 141 injured in a car bomb attack outside the gate of the Indian embassy here Monday, the Afghan health ministry said. Spokesman Abdullah Fahim told Xinhua news agency that of the 90 rushed to hospital, at least 10 were in critical condition.
A suicide bomber detonated his explosives-laden vehicle at 8.30 a.m. near the embassy where many people were queuing to collect their visas, defence ministry spokesman Zahir Azimi said.
One guard of the embassy was among the killed, he said.
The Afghan foreign ministry, while condemning the attack, said that the terrorist attack against the Indian embassy would not hamper close ties between New Delhi and Kabul.
No group has claimed responsibility for Monday’s attack, which officials said was the deadliest in months.
Insurgency has gained in intensity across Afghanistan, where the Taliban militia is fighting a dragging war with Afghan troops backed by international forces.
Around 8,000 people have been killed in the violence. Over 140 suicide attacks were recorded last year.
- Twin attacks kill 10 in Afghanistan (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Four killed in Kabul blasts (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Taliban strike Kabul, other Afghan targets (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Suicide bombing kills 10 Afghans, six Italians in Kabul (Second Lead) - Sep 17, 2009
- Six killed, five injured in Kabul attack (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- 10 dead, 12 wounded in Afghan airport bombing (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- Taliban killed in failed bombing, five injured - Dec 02, 2011
- Suicide bomber kills 55 at Shiite shrine in Kabul - Dec 07, 2011
- 52 dead, 130 injured in triple Afghanistan bombings - Dec 06, 2011
- Two die in suicide attack at Kabul shopping mall (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Three die in Afghan bombing - Jun 19, 2011
- Blasts rock Kabul, Taliban target US embassy - Sep 13, 2011
- 20 die in Afghan suicide bombing (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011