President, husband pray at Tirupati on wedding anniversaryJuly 7th, 2008 - 2:11 pm ICT by IANS
Tirupati, July 7 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil and her husband Devi Singh Shekhawat Monday offered prayers at the Lord Venkateshwara temple on Tirumala Hills on their 43rd wedding anniversary. Patil arrived here Sunday night to inaugurate the platinum jubilee celebrations of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD), the organisation that runs India’s richest temple.
Temple priests and TTD officials accorded the couple a traditional welcome when they reached the hill shrine early Monday morning. They participated in special ‘archana seva’ prayers as the priests blessed the couple amid the chanting of Vedic hymns.
TTD Chairman Karunakar Reddy presented ‘prasadam’ and ‘Srivari dollar’ to the president and her husband, who spent 15 minutes in the temple.
Later, the president formally launched the devotional television channel of TTD. The 24-hour Sri Venkateswara Bhakti Channel aims to propagate devotion towards Lord Venkateswara and Hindu religion.
Speaking on the occasion, Patil said every religion give message of peace and humanity. “There can’t be peace without prosperity and there can’t prosperity without good thoughts. Devotion gives you strength of spiritual mind and thoughts of doing good for others,” she said.
The president is scheduled to launch the platinum jubilee celebrations of TTD later Monday.
- Sri Lankan president prays at Tirupati temple for team's victory - Apr 02, 2011
- Manmohan Singh offers prayers at Tirupati temple - Sep 01, 2010
- President Mukherjee's first official visit to Chennai, Tiruputi - Sep 07, 2012
- President calls for social action to eliminate evils (Second lead) - Jul 07, 2008
- President offers prayers at Tirupati - Jul 07, 2011
- Rajapaksa prays for team at Tirupati, leaves for Mumbai - Apr 02, 2011
- Pratibha Patil arrives in Tirupati - Jul 06, 2008
- Act sought against Jagan for flouting temple rules - May 03, 2012
- Tirumala temple shut for lunar eclipse - Jun 16, 2011
- 10 arrested near Tirumala temple - Jul 08, 2011
- Action sought against Jagan over Tirupati row, YSR party hits back (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Panel moots upping security for Tirupati jewels - Jun 18, 2010
- Tirupati temple to decide on Janardhana Reddy's offering - Sep 09, 2011
- Mass marriages in Andhra; 12,000 enter into wedlock - May 20, 2011
- Sri Lankan president prays at Tirupathi - Oct 31, 2009