68 Al Qaeda men tunnel their way out of Yemen jailJune 22nd, 2011 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Aden/Anaa (Yemen), June 22 (IANS) Al Qaeda’s 68 prisoners escaped Wednesday from a jail in Yemen through a tunnel they dug over months, Xinhua reported.
The prisoners escaped from Mukalla city central jail in Yemen’s southeastern province of Hadramout, through meters-long tunnel they dug over the past months, said top intelligence official Abdullah al-Jirazie.
“The Al Qaeda fugitives also attacked some of the security soldiers outside the prison in Mukalla city, the provincial capital city of Hadramout, killing one soldier and injuring two others,” Al Jirazie said.
But he denied that the prison was attacked by armed Al Qaeda militants.
Earlier in the day, a government official said the prison was attacked by Al Qaeda militants wielding heavy machineguns and grenades, and added that they managed to free dozens of prisoners.
- Yemen detains prison director over Al Qaeda escape - Jun 26, 2011
- Al Qaeda abducts Yemeni intelligence officer - Mar 22, 2012
- Five Al Qaeda terrorists escape from Yemen jail - Jun 27, 2012
- Four killed in al-Qaeda ambush in south Yemen - Mar 11, 2011
- 20 killed as suicide bomber hits Yemen's presidential palace - Feb 26, 2012
- 15 Al-Qaeda prisoners escape from Yemeni jail - Dec 12, 2011
- 11 caught trying to escape Iraq jail - Aug 07, 2012
- Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in Yemen - Aug 05, 2012
- Somali pirates jailed for 10 years in Yemen - Nov 20, 2011
- 23 killed in Yemen attack - Apr 09, 2012
- Six killed in Yemen - Jun 24, 2011
- Al Qaeda leaders killed in Yemen air strike - May 07, 2012
- Abducted Saudi diplomat in Yemen makes fresh appeal - Jul 02, 2012
- 14 soldiers killed in Yemen car bombing - Aug 18, 2012
- 15 killed in Yemen - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,