Kolkata hawkers block inauguration of Spencer’s mallJuly 4th, 2008 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 4 (IANS) Small shopkeepers and hawkers stopped RPG group vice chairman Sanjeev Goenka from inaugurating a new mall here Friday morning, saying they would not allow the corporate sector to enter the retail business. Banded under Hawkers Sangram Committee, a national association of small traders and hawkers, the protesters prevented Goenka from entering the mall, belonging to the RPG group’s retail chain Spencer’s.
“We will not let any big player enter our territory. If they try to open any stores they will meet with violent protest,” Shaktiman Ghosh, general secretary of the hawkers’ committee, told IANS.
Protesters also burned promotional pamphlets of Spencer’s mall in the city.
Goenka couldn’t be contacted for comments.
- Shopkeepers, hawkers prevent opening of Spencer's mall (Lead) - Jul 04, 2008
- Spencer's eyeing profit of Rs.20 per sq ft - Feb 10, 2011
- Shopkeepers, hawkers prevent opening of Kolkata mall (Second Lead) - Jul 04, 2008
- Shops in Tamil Nadu closed to protest FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- Sanjiv Goenka launches new group (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- FDI in retail: Complete shutdown in Himachal - Dec 01, 2011
- Traders across India to strike Thursday - Sep 19, 2012
- Comments from India Inc. on foreign equity in retail trade - Nov 25, 2011
- Spencer's achieves 16 percent revenue growth - Jul 30, 2009
- Don't let Wal-Mart in, says CPI-M - Jul 16, 2012
- Multi-product retail will improve supply chain: Economic advisor - Nov 04, 2011
- Don't open multi-brand FDI in retail, PM told - Jul 22, 2012
- Battle ahead for government in allowing foreign retailers - Aug 29, 2010
- We are not against FDI in retail: Akhilesh Yadav - Jul 24, 2012
- Nationwide shutdown successful, claims trader's organisation - Sep 20, 2012