633 security personnel killed in one yearOctober 21st, 2011 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 21 (IANS) A total of 633 police and paramilitary personnel were killed from Sep 1, 2010, to Aug 31 this year.
According to a statement from Delhi Police Friday, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) topped the list (113 deaths) followed by Uttar Pradesh Police (112) and Border Security Force (72).
West Bengal Police lost 24 men while Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh suffered 36 and 47 casualties respectively.
The figures for other states are: Delhi 15, Manipur 14, Maharashtra, Jammu and Kashmir, Bihar and Tamil Nadu 13 each, Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand 12 each, Orissa 11, Assam and Karnataka nine each, Andhra Pradesh six, Gujarat, Kerala, Meghalaya and Rajasthan five each, and Arunachal Pradesh four. Nagaland had three casualties. Sikkim had one.
The Railway Police Force lost 27 personnel followed by Indo-Tibetan Border Police (18), Central Industrial Security Force (10), National Security Guard (3) and Sashastra Seema Bal (2).
In remembrance of those killed, the Commemoration Day Parade and a two-minute silence was observed here at a function where Delhi Police Commissioner B.K. Gupta took the salute.
The Commemoration Day is observed every year Oct 21 in memory of 10 personnel of CRPF who were ambushed and killed by Chinese forces in Ladakh region Oct 21, 1959.
- Suicides increase in paramilitary forces - Aug 08, 2012
- Suicides in paramilitary forces on the rise - Mar 13, 2012
- Govt. to deploy hundred companies of paramilitary forces for WB polls - Mar 01, 2011
- Delhi Police mark Commemoration Day parade - Oct 21, 2010
- 42 die in Indian quake, rains hamper relief work - Sep 19, 2011
- India celebrates 63rd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Nation gets set to celebrate 61st Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Search continues for missing Arunachal CM along Indo-Bhutan border - May 02, 2011
- Yoga to curb paramilitary voluntary retirements - Sep 06, 2011
- Over 30,000 personnel to join ITBP - Oct 24, 2011
- 61 police, paramilitary personnel to get service awards - Aug 14, 2012
- No women as officers of border forces, says government - Jun 01, 2010
- Over 724 crores released for police forces in states: Chidambaram - Nov 30, 2010
- Commonwealth mascot Shera, MBT Arjun to be 61st Republic Day attractions - Jan 26, 2010
- Ground search for Arunachal CM Khandu continues - May 03, 2011
Tags: border police, border security force, central industrial security, chhattisgarh, chinese forces, crpf, delhi police, jammu and kashmir, jharkhand, k gupta, madhya pradesh, meghalaya, minute silence, nagaland, railway police, reserve police, sashastra seema bal, seema, tibetan border, west bengal police