62 get life terms for 2003 murders of eight people in KeralaJanuary 15th, 2009 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
Kozhikode (Kerala), Jan 15 (IANS) A Kerala court Thursday sentenced 62 people to life imprisonment for the 2003 murders of eight people in the coastal village of Marad.Additional Sessions Judge (Special Court) Babu Mathew P. Joseph also sentenced one person — Abdul Latheef — to six years imprisonment for misusing a mosque. The guilty verdict against the 63 had come in December, when 76 people charged in the case where acquitted.
The judge, however, agreed to treat the years that the culprits had spent in jail as part of the sentence. With Latheef already having spent six years in jail, he can walk free.
Marad had been seeing communal tensions before the massacre of eight fisherfolk on May 2, 2003. Earlier, six people had been killed in attack in 2002.
The Kerala government had last month asked the central government to launch a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the Marad massacres of 2002 and 2003.
- 62 get life for 2003 murders in Kerala (Lead) - Jan 15, 2009
- 62 get life for killing eight in Kerala communal clash (Second Lead) - Jan 15, 2009
- Kerala's 2003 Marad massacre: 62 found guilty, 76 let off - Dec 27, 2008
- High court declines CBI probe into Marad massacre - Feb 10, 2009
- BJP lawmaker, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya killings - Aug 31, 2012
- Mukhtaran Mai gang rape: 13 released after acquittal - Apr 27, 2011
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Best Bakery killings: Four get life term, five acquitted - Jul 09, 2012
- Bihar court acquits 23 in caste massacre case - Apr 16, 2012
- Mukhtaran Mai verdict a disappointment: Sherry Rehman - Apr 22, 2011
- Kerala recommends CBI probe into Marad communal massacres - Nov 19, 2008
- Four bank employees jailed for Rs.1.7 crore fraud - Dec 26, 2011
- Pakistan to provide security, assistance to Mukhtaran Mai - Apr 22, 2011
- Ahmedabad blasts convicts' sentences enhanced - Jan 24, 2011
- Actress Monica Bedi's conviction upheld, sentence cut (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010