60 teams take part in IGNOU school quiz contestNovember 23rd, 2010 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Nov 23 (IANS) Sixty teams from across the city took part in the multi-city inter school quiz organised by the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) Tuesday.
IGNOU vice-chancellor V.N. Rajasekharan Pillai said the university was promoting school education in its silver jubilee year, with outreach events like a science olympiad and special awards.
The IGNOU Kochi regional director, K.S. Divakaran Nair, said that ‘Ignite’, the quiz show, was organised to increase awareness about distance learning method among school students.
“The idea of such events is to ignite students’ interest in higher education and make them aware of the open and distance learning system,” he said.
IGNOU has already organised “Ignite” in Delhi, Kolkata, Guwahati and Bangalore. There are plans to hold these contests in other cities, before a grand finale of the winning teams in Delhi.
All the 60 school teams first participated in a written elimination round, which led to a selection of six teams for the final round.
Tarun Uday and S. Sathyawageeswar of Bhavan’s Vidya Mandir, Girinagar, won the contest, while Aditya Chandralal and Varun Prasad of Chinmaya Vidyalaya were the runners-up.
The winners got a trophy for their school, individual trophies, book vouchers and a gift hamper each.
An exhibition and a flash presentation were also organised to make the students aware of various programmes being offered by IGNOU.
- St. Joseph's students sweep varsity quiz contest - Jul 21, 2011
- 92 teams participate in IGNOU quiz contest in Bangalore - Aug 10, 2010
- Ahmedabad students fight it out at IGNOU quiz contest - Feb 09, 2011
- Army School wins IGNOU quiz contest (With Image) - May 12, 2011
- IGNOU starts online training programme for teachers - Dec 26, 2010
- 'IGNOU has brought teachers-students closer' - Jan 09, 2011
- 'IGNOU at par with international institutions' - Jan 01, 2011
- Kerala children walk to support rural students - Sep 18, 2011
- Two lakh students join IGNOU community colleges - Jun 20, 2011
- IGNOU inaugurates seminar on Sanskrit - Nov 27, 2009
- IGNOU to host 6th pan-Commonwealth forum on open learning - Aug 08, 2010
- IGNOU to partner with US community colleges - Aug 21, 2011
- IGNOU to waive fees of sex workers, street children - May 04, 2010
- IGNOU to spread e-literacy at grassroots level - Jul 26, 2011
- IGNOU inaugurates 100-foot-high flag post - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: book vouchers, flash presentation, grand finale, guwahati, indira gandhi, indira gandhi national open university, inter school, national open university, outreach events, pillai, promoting school, quiz contest, quiz show, school education, school quiz, science olympiad, special awards, students interest, vice chancellor, vidya mandir