60 children fall ill after mid-day mealSeptember 14th, 2011 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 14 (IANS) Around 60 students of a South 24 Parganas district school in West Bengal fell ill after consuming the mid-day meal, police said Wednesday.
“Around 50 to 60 students fell ill after consuming the mid-day meal. They have been admitted to local hospitals. Their condition is stable,” police superintendent L.N. Meena told IANS.
Class 5 and 6 students of Jote Shibram Girls high school in the district’s Maheshtala complained of dizziness and stomach ache after having their mid-day meal.
“I saw several students who immediately after eating the chicken served to them started to vomit and complained of stomach ache. They have now been taken to the hospital,” said Shoma Das, a student of the same school.
Parents and guardians who rushed to the school after hearing about the incident accused the school authorities of using unhygienic means to cook the food.
“They use water which is not purified and cook in the open. Anything poisonous can fall into the food and nobody will know, the school authorities are so irresponsible,” complained one of the parents.
Mayor Sovon Chatterjee visited the school and also visited the children at the hospital.
- Over 100 students fall ill after medication at health camp - Dec 14, 2010
- 48 students fall ill after having mid-day meal - Jul 14, 2011
- 53 students taken ill after mid-day meal - Jul 16, 2011
- 27 children fall ill after consuming mid-day meal - Jun 29, 2010
- 70 schoolkids fall ill after being given iron tablets - Dec 03, 2010
- Four fall sick after consuming wild mushrooms in Assam - Apr 27, 2012
- Over 40 kids fall sick in Ghaziabad - Oct 25, 2009
- Headmaster held for molesting girls - Sep 26, 2011
- Haryana to review mid-day meal scheme as kids fall sick - Jul 18, 2011
- Two children die after eating mid-day meal in Bihar - Mar 11, 2010
- Students hospitalised after consuming iron pills - Sep 20, 2011
- Around 200 children fall sick due to food poisoning in Allahabad - Feb 27, 2011
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- Court worried about poor mid-day meal - May 26, 2010
- Girl falls into cauldron, dies (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011