60 call centre employees struck by food poisoningApril 2nd, 2008 - 10:21 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 2 (IANS) At least 60 employees of a call centre in west Delhi were Wednesday admitted to hospital with suspected food poisoning as they complained of giddiness and stomach ache after they ate lunch. The staff of Om Innovation Call Services in Janakpuri, which handles credit card related phone queries for State Bank of India, complained of uneasiness and vomiting after consuming lunch provided by the firm.
Around 300 people had eaten the food, provided by Sita Ram Caterers, a police official said.
The victims were admitted to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital and private-run Kartik Hospital, which later informed the police.
All employees are said to be out of danger, but a few are still under observation at both hospitals.
“We had rice and channa dal in our lunch, but soon every one started complaining of giddiness and stomach ache. It has never happened in the past,” said Shivpal, an employee.
A case has been registered and investigations are under way, the police said.
“Initial investigations suggest that people fell ill due to the spurious quality of food. We have detained Sita Ram, owner of the catering services, and he is likely to be arrested,” said Sharad Aggarwal, deputy commissioner of police (west Delhi).