55 kg heroin seized near AmritsarSeptember 4th, 2008 - 12:29 am ICT by IANS
Amritsar, Sep 3 (IANS) Three people were arrested and nearly 55 kg of heroin was seized by Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) officials here Wednesday in one of the biggest drug hauls in recent months.The drug haul is said to be worth Rs.550 million (Rs.55 crore) in the international market. DRI joint director Dheeraj Rastogi confirmed the seizure.
DRI officials said that three people - Kabul Singh, Jasbir Singh and Mohinder Singh - were nabbed with the drugs consignment on the Amritsar-Tarn Taran road of this border district in Punjab.
In a separate incident, the Border Security Force (BSF) Wednesday gunned down a person who was trying to cross the fenced border between India and Pakistan in Pul Kanjari sector of this district.
BSF personnel tried to stop the person from running towards Pakistan but when he did not stop, the BSF fired on him. BSF officials said the person seemed to be a Bangladeshi national.
- 75 kg of heroin seized in Punjab - Apr 06, 2011
- Sharp hike in heroin smuggling across Punjab border - Aug 21, 2012
- BSF recovers heroin, fake currency from Pakistan border - Dec 01, 2011
- 15 kg heroin found near India-Pakistan border - Oct 04, 2011
- BSF recovers 23 kg heroin from Punjab border - Feb 04, 2012
- BSF seizes 12 kg of heroin on Punjab border - Apr 24, 2012
- Principal suspended for punishing girls - Mar 01, 2012
- Three smugglers held with drugs, fake currency in Amritsar - Jul 04, 2012
- BSF guns down Pakistani intruder in Punjab - May 01, 2011
- Punjab drug scene hits a new 'high' - Nov 22, 2010
- Police seize 2 kg heroin, 1 arrested - Sep 15, 2010
- Fogged out at India-Pakistan border, but tea keeps spirits high - Dec 31, 2010
- Three held with drugs worth Rs.40 crore - Jul 10, 2011
- Heroin worth Rs.600 mn seized in Punjab - Sep 06, 2009
- 20 kg heroin seized near Amritsar - Feb 20, 2010