Shias, Sunnis jointly offer prayers in LucknowMay 31st, 2008 - 2:55 pm ICT by admin
Lucknow, May 31 (IANS) Heralding a new beginning to foster ties between the Shias and the Sunnis, members of the two sects jointly offered prayers at a mosque in Uttar Pradesh’s Lucknow district, said a member of All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) Saturday. “The proposal to offer prayers jointly came from Shia clerics. As it was in the interest of both the sects, we collectively offered prayers Friday here at the Shia’s Afisi mosque,” a Sunni leader and AIMPLB office-bearer Maulana Rashid Firangi Mahli told IANS.
He added the initiative will help the members of both the sects come closer and promote brotherhood amongst them.
To strengthen the bond between the two sects, clerics of both the communities will continue to offer prayers collectively in the mosques, said a Shia cleric.
“Shortly, we will offer namaz with our Sunni friends at their mosque in Aishbagh locality of the city,” said the Shia cleric.
Around two weeks back, leaders of both the sects had said that members of both sects should offer prayers jointly in order to bridge the rift between the two communities.
Earlier, All-India Muslim Women’s Personal Law Board’s president Shaista Amber had organised a joint namaz in which men and women offered prayers here in the Amber mosque.
- Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated with fervour in Lucknow - Aug 31, 2011
- Special Eid prayers planned ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 09, 2010
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated with traditional fervour in Lucknow - Sep 11, 2010
- India celebrates Eid -- from Kashmir to down south (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2011
- Muslims take to streets to demand journalist's release - Mar 24, 2012
- Eid celebrated with traditional fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 20, 2012
- Ayodhya dispute: Ansari's move for talks welcomed - Oct 04, 2010
- Shia leaders reject VHP's Ayodhya proposal - Oct 06, 2010
- Model nikahnama missing from Muslim law board website - Feb 20, 2011
- No Eid festivity at Uttar Pradesh village having terror link - Oct 02, 2008
- Praying, feeding poor, Lucknow Muslims mark Eid-ul-Azha - Nov 17, 2010
- Muslim clerics, Hindu priests fast for Modi's 'divine punishment' - Sep 24, 2011
- Maulanas ask Muslims to back Anna - Aug 22, 2011
- Women pray along with men at Lucknow mosque - Sep 02, 2008