50,000 displaced in Assam flash floodsJuly 6th, 2008 - 11:08 am ICT by IANS
Guwahati, July 6 (IANS) Flash floods triggered by heavy monsoon rains in Assam have displaced more than 50,000 people overnight, besides uprooting scores of mud-and-thatch homes, officials said Sunday. A government spokesman said the eastern district of Lakhimpur has been the worst hit with an estimated 50 villages hit by the second wave of flooding that began Saturday.
“The situation is critical with many parts of the district under waist deep water,” Lakhimpur police chief S.A. Karim told IANS.
A Central Water Commission bulletin said the main Brahmaputra river and its tributaries were flowing above the danger mark in at least six places. The first wave of floods in Assam last month killed eight people and displaced 400,000, most of them in Lakhimpur district.
“Thousands of people are taking shelter in makeshift camps and on embankments and other raised platforms with authorities providing them with food and other essentials,” Karim said.
The swirling floodwaters of the Brahmaputra river have cut a treacherous swathe across the district breaching more than a dozen vital embankments, besides sweeping away road bridges and stretches of highways.
Authorities said a rail bridge was washed away forcing suspension of train services in the area. The 2,906-km river - one of the longest in Asia - traverses Tibet, India and Bangladesh before emptying into the Bay of Bengal.
Every year the monsoon causes the river to flood in Assam, a state of 26 million people. In 2004, at least 200 people died and millions were displaced.
- Brahmaputra crosses danger mark, Assam flood situation critical - Sep 14, 2010
- 50,000 displaced in Assam floods - Aug 21, 2010
- Assam floods displace 50,000 people - Apr 22, 2010
- One killed, thousands displaced in Assam floods - Sep 10, 2010
- 100,000 displaced by floods in Assam, 100 villages hit - Apr 23, 2010
- First wave of floods hit Assam - Mar 25, 2010
- Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havoc - Aug 24, 2011
- Floods wreak havoc in Assam, 200,000 displaced - Jul 03, 2009
- Thousands displaced in Assam flash floods - Aug 15, 2011
- Relief work and rehabilitation of Assam flood victims in full swing - Jul 18, 2009
- Two drown, 150,000 people hit in Assam floods - Apr 24, 2010
- Flood alert in Assam, 75,000 displaced - Jul 19, 2011
- 10 killed, thousands displaced in northeast floods - Sep 12, 2010
- Floods hit Assam, over 15,000 affected - Jun 05, 2012
- Assam floods: Death toll reaches 100, 16 missing - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: bay of bengal, brahmaputra river, central water, danger mark, deep water, first wave, flash floods, floods in assam, floodwaters, government spokesman, heavy monsoon rains, karim, makeshift camps, rail bridge, road bridges, second wave, swathe, thatch, train services, water commission