500-km human chain for Indian fishermen’s sakeApril 28th, 2012 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, April 28 (IANS) More than half a million people Saturday formed a 500-km-long human chain running from Kerala to Tamil Nadu to press for the safety and security of Indian fishermen.
The formation started at 5 p.m. and in 15 minutes a human chain had been formed running from Manjeswaram to Kanyakumari.
The formation aimed to highlight the threat looming over the lives of fishermen after five people were recently killed while fishing in the seas in two separate incidents.
Archbishop M. Susaipakiam of the Latin Archdiocese inaugurated the process, seeking the safety of fishermen.
“Numerous state and central agencies are associated with the safety of fishermen but there is a lack of coordination and hence things do not happen the way they should,” he said.
Part of the chain was people from all walks of life and political affiliations.
Pinarayi Vijayan, secretary of Kerala CPI-M, was among the leaders who joined the formation.
Several Kerala legislators also took part in the formation in their respective localities.
“This was done to bring to attention the safety and security issues our fishermen face while doing their jobs,” said T. Peter, convener of Kerala Swanthantra Matsya Thozhilali Federation.
The event comes in the wake of two recent incidents namely the killing of two fishermen by Italian marines along the Alappuzha coast and the death of three fishermen after being hit by a Singaporean vessel.
- Italian marines case: Kerala Police file chargesheet - May 18, 2012
- Tragedy strikes Kerala waters again, two killed (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Fishermen's killing: Protests demanding arrest of ship captain - Feb 20, 2012
- Kerala fishermen's relatives feel cheated - Apr 20, 2012
- Fishermen to ring Italian ship - Feb 20, 2012
- Kerala fishermen's daily tryst with danger - Feb 20, 2012
- Special team of Kerala cops to probe shooting row - Feb 21, 2012
- Kerala lashes out at Rawal remarks on firing from ship - Apr 21, 2012
- 208-km human chain formed in Kerala to demand new dam - Dec 08, 2011
- Achuthanandan versus Vijayan - and CPI-M? (Kerala Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- Achuthanandan will remain opposition leader: CPI-M - Feb 10, 2012
- Media creation, says Vijayan of Achuthanandan letter - May 21, 2012
- Chandy seeks removal of Raval in Italian Marines case (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Apex court frowns on Italian ship case developments - Apr 30, 2012
- Vijayan will meet Dange's fate: Achuthanandan - May 12, 2012
Tags: 15 minutes, convener, coordination, CPI, fishing, half a million, indian fishermen, kerala, legislators, localities, marines, matsya, political affiliations, recent incidents, safety and security, security issues, t peter, thiruvananthapuram, two fishermen, walks of life