50 NATO trucks set ablaze in PakistanDecember 8th, 2008 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 8 (DPA) Pakistani insurgents Monday torched more than 50 trucks carrying supplies for US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, police said.The pre-dawn attack took place on the periphery of Peshawar city, where hundreds of militants Sunday raided two parking bays for NATO-bound lorries and set ablaze around 150 vehicles and cargo containers, some loaded with armoured Humvees for the US military.
In Monday’s attack, an unknown number of attackers forced their way into a truck terminal and set rows of flatbed trailers on fire, gutting the supplies loaded on them, Peshawar police officer Anwar Zeb said.
Zeb said there were no reports of any casualties in the incident, the third of its kind in the area in a week.
Attacks on trucks hauling cargo for the western forces have recently seen a surge in Peshawar, where the vehicles are parked at night before moving on to the Khyber Pass to cross into landlocked Afghanistan.
The mountain pass in the militant-infested tribal region is part of a major supply line for the international troops, who receive three-fourths of their food, fuel and military supplies through Pakistan.
- Pakistani truckers halt supplies to NATO forces - Dec 15, 2008
- NATO tanker blast kills 15 in Pakistan - May 21, 2011
- Pakistan mounts fresh offensive against militants (Lead) - Dec 30, 2008
- Militants destroy NATO trucks in Pakistan - Oct 09, 2009
- Pak suspends NATO supplies to Afghanistan due to protests against US drone attacks - Apr 24, 2011
- Militants torch 150 NATO trucks in Pakistan, kill guard - Dec 07, 2008
- Stranded NATO trucks destroyed in Pakistan - Aug 31, 2009
- Militants destroy NATO fuel tanker in Pakistan - Mar 01, 2010
- NATO supplies from Pakistan to Afghanistan resume (Lead) - Aug 31, 2009
- Entry of NATO oil tankers banned in Peshawar in view of increasing attacks - Mar 17, 2011
- Pakistan Taliban warns MPs against NATO supply restoration - Mar 26, 2012
- NATO fuel tankers torched in Pakistan - Mar 17, 2011
- Pakistan bars trucks loaded with NATO supplies - Nov 16, 2008
- Another 26 NATO tankers burnt in Nowshera in Pak following air strike standoff - Oct 07, 2010
- Militants torch 50 NATO trucks in Pakistan (Lead) - Dec 08, 2008