50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead)February 23rd, 2012 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Feb 23 (IANS) At least 50 people were killed and hundreds wounded Thursday in a series of bomb and gun attacks across the Iraqi capital, police said.
The violence targeted predominantly Shia areas, in particular police officers and checkpoints, the BBC reported.
In the capital city of Baghdad, nine people were killed in two successive blasts in the central Karrada district. Outside the capital, at least two were killed in Baquba city.
No group claimed responsibility for the violence.
In the incidents around Baghdad, six people were killed after a car bomb blast in Shia-dominated Kadhimiya area.
Another six people were killed by gunmen at a police checkpoint in the Baghdad’s Sarafiya district.
At least two people died and five injured in an explosion in the western al-Mansour district.
In southern Baghdad, two people were killed while 10 wounded in two explosions in Dorat Abo Sheer area.
In another incident in southern Baghdad, an attack by assailants on a police patrol in Saidiya area left two people as killed and nine wounded.
Seven people, most of them policemen, suffered injuries in a blast in al-Madaen, south of Baghdad while five civilians were wounded in a bomb explosion in Taji, north of Baghdad.
There were also attacks in Mosul, Kirkuk and the province of Salahuddin.
Iraqi cities have been plagued by waves of deadly attacks including suicide bombings since the US troops pulled out of the country in December last year.
- 55 killed, 126 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- 20 killed, 64 wounded in attacks in Baghdad - Feb 23, 2012
- Coordinated terrorist attacks across Baghdad kill 74, injure more than 300 - Nov 03, 2010
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Three killed, nine injured in Iraq - Apr 30, 2012
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- 47 killed in Iraq car bombings - Jun 13, 2012
- Six killed, 19 injured in Iraq attacks - Jul 07, 2010
- 14 die in Baghdad bombings - Oct 12, 2011
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 18 killed, 98 injured in Iraq attacks - Sep 19, 2010
- Iraq official survives bomb attack - Apr 22, 2012
- Seven killed in Iraq violence - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: al mansour, assailants, bomb explosion, capital police, car bomb blast, checkpoints, city of baghdad, dorat, gun attacks, gunmen, iraq attacks, iraqi capital, iraqi cities, kirkuk, police checkpoint, police patrol, policemen, suicide bombings, taji, us troops