5 sentenced to life for gang-rape in Gujarat (Lead)June 20th, 2008 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, June 20 (IANS) Five people, including an industrialist’s son, were awarded life imprisonment Friday by an additional sessions judge for the gang-rape of Bijal Joshi, who later committed suicide, in a hotel here during a New Year eve party. Additional Sessions judge Jyotsna Yagnik awarded life imprisonment to Sajal Jain, Sugam Jaiswal, Ashok Jaiswal alias Mandan, Chandan Jaiswal and Dharmendra Jain alias Karan while acquitting seven others for want of conclusive evidence.
Joshi, 24, committed suicide Jan 7, 2004 after she was gang-raped and tortured by her boyfriend Jain and four others in Room No. 106 of Hotel Ashok Palace in Osmanpura area here during a New Year eve party in 2003.
Jain, 32, a father of two, had befriended Joshi. He invited her to the hotel to celebrate the New Year and then raped her along with four of his friends Dec 31, 2003.
He is son of an industrialist and owner of Delhi’s Apollo Millennium Hospital.
He was arrested on charges of rape and abetting suicide after Joshi committed suicide. In in her suicide note, she named Jain and his four friends for raping and torturing her. Her body had borne several bite marks.
The Shahibaug police in March 2004 filed a 600-page charge sheet naming 12 people for her rape and suicide in the metropolitan court here.
The charge sheet named Jain, who is Delhi-based dealer of Mahek gutkha, Chandan Jaiswal and Ashok Jaiswal (sons of hotel owner Pannalal Jaiswal) and their friend Sugam Jaiswal.
Two other accused in the case - Karan and Manish, both from Rajasthan - are absconding.
Pannalal along with his son-in-law Anand Jaiswal had been accused of destruction of evidence along with Sugam’s father Harishankar Jaiswal, mother Seema and sister Shreya.
Ashok Patel, Anand-based dealer of Mahek gutkha, has been accused of sheltering Chandan and Mandan.
Six policemen, including an inspector of Shahibaug police station, were suspended for their laxity in the case in 2004.
- 5 held guilty of gang-rape at New Year eve party - Jun 20, 2008
- Father, son found hanging, maid arrested - Aug 20, 2011
- Court frames gangrape charges against senior IAS officer - Aug 07, 2010
- Nepal sees growing custodial torture of women - Jun 26, 2011
- Girl kills herself after gangrape, police in denial mode - Mar 22, 2011
- 9 women raped, 19 suicides daily in Madhya Pradesh: Minister - Nov 22, 2011
- Court frames gangrape charges against senior IAS officer (Lead) - Aug 07, 2010
- Woman gangraped in power firm's housing colony, four held - Jul 04, 2011
- Girl commits suicide after molestation - Feb 18, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear Sachan death case Friday - Jul 07, 2011
- Delhi bast: List of the 11 dead - Sep 07, 2011
- Don't show ragging casually in films: 'Hostel' director - Jan 18, 2011
- Two Uttar Pradesh cops booked for gang-rape - Jun 22, 2011
- Chandigarh woman alleges gangrape - Jul 24, 2011
- Congress to move court for CBI probe in Uttar Pradesh crimes - Jul 01, 2011