5 killed in Uttar Pradesh cracker blastsApril 23rd, 2012 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 23 (IANS) Five people, including three women and two children, were killed Monday in explosions of stockpiled crackers at two places in Uttar Pradesh, police said.
Two women and as many children were killed in Sandi area of Hardoi district, about 150 km from here, when a stockpile of crackers exploded on the first floor of a double-storey building due to “excessive heat”, police said. Summer time day temperatures in Hardoi are around 37 degrees Celsius.
The house was being used by a government-recognized contractor to store the crackers, they said.
The district magistrate of Hardoi has ordered a probe into the fire while police are also probing the reasons behind the blast.
In the other mishap, one woman was killed and another injured when an explosion took place in a building in Chunniganj area of Kanpur. The victim has been identified as Aafsha Khatoon. The explosion was so severe that walls of the single-storeyed house collapsed and a fire broke out.
Kanpur City police superintendent Bharat Singh Yadav said the house was apparently being used to stockpile crackers.
Inspector General of Police (Law & Order) B.P. Singh told IANS that police teams have been asked to explore “all angles” in the blast but ruled out any subversion.
- Six more killed in cracker shop blast in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 24, 2012
- Two killed in fire-cracker stockpile blast - Sep 12, 2012
- Nashik blast kills three, police rule out bomb - Jun 08, 2011
- Five killed in Delhi building collapse - Jan 04, 2012
- Three killed in fire cracker unit blast in Punjab - Apr 13, 2012
- Fire in Amritsar cracker shop - Oct 23, 2011
- Two dead as building collapses in cracker blast - Oct 28, 2010
- 20 dead, nearly 200 wounded in Kabul fire - Jul 05, 2012
- Two killed in Kolkata blast - Apr 09, 2012
- Woman, son die in Lucknow building collapse - Jul 24, 2012
- Seven killed in twin Syrian blasts - Apr 05, 2012
- House collapse kills five in Delhi(Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Six killed in Pakistan fireworks blast (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Nine killed in South Korean fire - May 06, 2012
- Punjab cracker unit blast leaves four dead (Lead, changing dateline) - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: b p singh, blasts, city police, cracker, crackers, district magistrate, double storey, excessive heat, explosions, inspector general, mishap, one woman, police law, police superintendent, police teams, stockpile, subversion, summer time, three women, yadav