5 killed in Maharashtra house collapseAugust 31st, 2008 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 31 (IANS) Five people, including three children, were killed early Sunday morning when the wall of their home collapsed due to heavy rains in Maharashtra’s Osmanabad district, the police said.The incident took place in Bamni village, D.M. Bansode of Osmanabad control room told IANS over phone.
He said that the victims, including a visitor who stayed overnight, were asleep in their home Saturday night when heavy rains lashed the region.
Around 1 a.m. Sunday, the wall of the home suddenly collapsed, crushing the five people.
The victims are a four-member family Dinesh M. Gajre (40), his wife Shivnanda (35), and their two children Pooja (11) and Shivam (10).
Pooja’s friend, Bhagyashree Santosh Shinde (11), who had stayed over at the home due to inclement weather, also succumbed in the tragedy, Bansode said.
The villages retrieved the bodies.
Osmanabad, around 400 km from here, and surrounding regions, which experienced a month long lull in the monsoon, were suddenly lashed by heavy rains since Saturday morning.
- Torrential rains in Maharashtra - Sep 03, 2012
- Six killed in Maharashtra downpour (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Six dead as heavy rains lash Jaipur - Aug 22, 2012
- Woman and three kids killed in Patna wall collapse - Jul 18, 2012
- Seven killed as rains lash Punjab - Aug 13, 2011
- Dust storm kills 21 people in Uttar Pradesh - May 23, 2011
- Eight killed as wall collapses in Mumbai - Jun 16, 2010
- Heavy rains kill nine in Hyderabad - Jul 21, 2012
- 10 die in Jaipur of rain-triggered disasters (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Heavy rains kill nine in Hyderabad (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Heavy rains kill nine in Hyderabad, many colonies submerged (Second Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Karunanidhi asks ministers to help in flood relief - Nov 23, 2010
- Rains bring cheers and woes to Mumbai - Jul 08, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, surrounding areas - Jul 04, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 28, 2011