498 killed in Maoist violence since March 2010: ChhattisgarhMarch 28th, 2012 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, March 28 (IANS) As many as 498 people were killed in Maoist violence in Chhattisgarh since March 2010, the state assembly was informed Wednesday.
Maoists, who are locally called Naxals, carried out 367 attacks in the state during 2010-11 and 2011-12 when 498 people were killed, Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar told the assembly in response to a question of Congress legislator Nandkumar Patel.
The minister said that those killed included 215 state police personnel, 140 paramilitary troopers, 26 special police officers (SPOs) and 33 civilians besides 84 guerrillas.
Chhattisgarh, termed as one of the worst leftist insurgency-hit states, has witnessed a string of deadly attacks by Maoists in recent years including killing of 76 troopers in a single attack in restive Bastar region in April 2010.
The guerrillas, who are estimated to be roughly 40,000 cadres of all ranks in the state, hold sway in jungle pockets mainly in a sprawling 40,000 sq km Bastar region since late 1980s. But incidents of violence have surprisingly subsided in the state during the past six months.
- Prolonged peace in Chhattisgarh surprises top cops - Mar 03, 2012
- Chhattisgarh legislators advised to be alert while on tour - Mar 26, 2012
- Chhattisgarh to bolster anti-Maoist forces - Jan 10, 2011
- Dantewada still burns, year after India's worst Maoist strike - Apr 05, 2011
- 667 Maoist attacks killed 590 in Chhattisgarh: police - Mar 09, 2011
- Chhattisgarh to add 3,000 SPOs in war on Maoists - Aug 28, 2010
- General V.K. Singh visits Maoist heartland - Apr 14, 2012
- Chhattisgarh to strengthen police base in Maoist areas - Aug 25, 2011
- Chhattisgarh begins disarming Salwa Judum - Jul 06, 2011
- Chhattisgarh probes engineer's donation to Maoists - Feb 21, 2011
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- CRPF trooper killed in Maoist attack - Sep 18, 2011
- Maoists kill five security men in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Maoists kill six cops in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- Chhattisgarh cop killed in Maoist attack - Sep 16, 2011
Tags: 1980s, cadres, chhattisgarh raipur, civilians, congress, guerrillas, hold sway, home minister, jungle, kanwar, legislator, maoist, maoists, pockets, six months, special police officers, spos, state assembly, state police, violence