45 missing as boat capsizes in NepalJanuary 4th, 2009 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, Jan 4 (Xinhua) At least 45 people were reported missing after a boat capsized in a river in southwestern Nepal Sunday morning, media reports said.The incident occurred in the Saptakoshi river in Sunsari district, some 220 km from Kathmandu, according to the Avenues TV.
The police have recovered one body so far while 11 people swam to safety following the accident, the Myrepublica.com online news portal said, quoting police sources.
Local people and police have been searching for more survivors, but the efforts have been hampered by dense fog in the region.
According to chief district officer Durga Bhandari, the boat was carrying between 50-60 passengers — beyond its capacity — which might have been the main reason behind the accident.
People in the district have been using boats as means of transportation since the Saptakoshi flood destroyed the East-West Highway in August last year.
- Six killed in Nepal road accident - Aug 20, 2012
- At least 7 Indians killed in Nepal plane crash (Second Lead) - May 14, 2012
- 13 drowned as boat capsizes on Chambal river - Nov 13, 2011
- 15 Indians killed in Nepal accident (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- 13 Indians die in Nepal air crash (Third Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Nine Puja revellers drown in Bihar - Oct 05, 2011
- Two killed, 21 missing in Nepal boat capsize (Lead) - Jan 04, 2009
- Boat capsizes in West Bengal, two missing - Jan 19, 2011
- 15 Indians killed as jeep falls into Nepal river (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Seven Indians die in Nepal plane crash (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- 13 Indians die as plane crashes in Nepal (Sixth Lead) - May 14, 2012
- 13 Indians die as plane flies into Nepal cliff (Fifth Lead) - May 14, 2012
- 13 Indians die as plane crashes into Nepal cliff (Fourth Lead) - May 14, 2012