45 Goa fishermen missing after Cyclone PhyanNovember 12th, 2009 - 3:01 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Nov 12 (IANS) About 45 fishermen were missing Thursday as eight trawlers were still out at sea and two feared sunk following Cyclone Phyan passing through the Arabian Sea the day before.
A day after the cyclone missed Goa but led to heavy rains and stormy seas, a fisheries department officials said 40 fishing crew were on the eight trawlers that were still missing.
The Mandovi Fisheries Cooperative Society added that two vessels, Jeevan and St Francis Xavier, could be sunk. While all 10 on St Francis Xavier had been saved, only 23 of the 29 people on Jeevan could be rescued.
More than two-dozen trawlers fishing off the Goa seas were dragged 200 km off course towards Maharashtra by Cyclone Phyan as it tore through the Arabian Sea Wednesday.
- 68 fishermen still missing after Cyclone Phyan: Goa chief minister - Nov 13, 2009
- Six trawlers, 50 Goan fishermen missing in cyclone - Nov 13, 2009
- Search still on to locate missing fishermen in Goa - Nov 12, 2009
- Some fishing boats found in cyclone-hit sea, 60 still missing (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
- 80 fishing boats, 800 men missing in cyclone-hit Arabian Sea (Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
- Cyclone effect: Trawlers missing off Goa coast - Nov 11, 2009
- Four fishing boats sink off Maharashtra town, 18 missing - Sep 03, 2011
- Goa extends fishing ban so fish stays on plate - Aug 04, 2012
- 7 sailors rescued off Goa beach - Jul 28, 2012
- Missing fishing boat found after 40 days with six bodies - Dec 20, 2009
- Book weatherman for failing to give storm warning: Goa BJP - Nov 17, 2009
- Shooting fish prices eating into Goan festivities - Sep 06, 2011
- Search on for missing Tamil Nadu fishermen - Nov 14, 2009
- Contact established with more missing Tamil Nadu fishermen - Nov 15, 2009
- Two fishermen dead, two hurt in collision off Kerala coast - Mar 01, 2012