44 NCC cadets on 600-km ocean sailing expedition (With Images)January 25th, 2012 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 25 (IANS) Using only sail boats and without any mechanical propulsion, a team of 44 National Cadet Corps (Naval Unit) students, including 12 girls, has launched itself on an 11-day oceanic expedition, an official said here Wednesday.
The expedition - launched Jan 19 - has two 27-foot long whaler sail boats, escorted by a vessel carrying supplies and a 15-member support staff.
The expedition will touch small ports like Alibaug, Revdanda, Murud, Bankot, Srivardhan, Dabhol, Veldur, Jaigad, Mumbai and then head back to Ratnagiri.
The expedition was flagged off from Ratnagiri on the Konkan coast, which is representing the Maharashtra NCC Directorate in the All India Most Enterprising Naval Unit Competition-2012.
“This is for the first time that the cadets of this unit - hailing from colleges in Ratnagiri, Satara and Sawantwadi districts of the state - have embarked on an oceanic expedition. They will be covering a return distance of around 600 km. They will rely only on canvas sails and rowing,” the official told IANS.
Along the way, the cadets interacted with villagers, mostly farmers or fishermen, and students and discussed issues like marine pollution, environmental protection, female foeticide, health and hygiene, and distributed literature on the NCC and its activities with the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard.
The expedition, which will return to Ratnagiri Jan 29, is commanded by Cdr. Amit K. Sanyal, Commanding Officer 2 (Maharashtra) Naval Unit NCC, who is accompanying the 44 cadets in a separate vessel.
- Show of might at president's naval fleet review Dec 20 - Dec 15, 2011
- Cyclone Aila did not deter NCC cadets - Jun 03, 2009
- NCC readies for Republic Day parade - Jan 05, 2011
- Naval band chief celebrates silver jubilee - Jan 26, 2012
- Donde wants his round-the-world trip boat to sail on - Sep 17, 2011
- President reviews naval fleet (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Iranian navy saves US vessel from pirates - May 24, 2012
- NCC targets women cadets - Jan 05, 2012
- Indian Navy inducts second sail training ship - Jan 27, 2012
- President Patil reviews naval fleet - Dec 20, 2011
- Four swimmers still missing in Maharashtra's Ratnagiri - Aug 19, 2012
- NCC to redefine training philosophy (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Maharashtra NCC bags PM's banner trophy 15th time - Jan 29, 2012
- NCC to grow, change training syllabus - Jul 05, 2012
- Governor pats NCC Cadets for PM banner - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: 12 girls, amit, cadets, canvas sails, commanding officer, female foeticide, health and hygiene, indian navy, jan 19, konkan coast, mechanical propulsion, member support, national cadet corps, ncc, ocean sailing, sail boats, sailing expedition, satara, sawantwadi, unit students