43 injured as jumbo jet plunges off Japan coastFebruary 20th, 2009 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Feb 20 (DPA) Forty-three people were injured - one suffering a broken neck - when a Boeing 747-400 of the US company Northwest Airlines plunged briefly in violent turbulence off the Japanese coast Friday, according to local media reports.
They quoted witnesses as saying the aircraft, arriving from Manila and in a holding pattern prior to landing at Tokyo’s Narita airport, suddenly plunged and then immediately regained its altitude, causing chaos on board.
Passengers who had ignored the fasten-seat-belt signs were hurled against the cabin ceiling and back to the floor. “It happened so fast, then it was over,” one passenger was quoted as saying.
A Japanese Transport Ministry spokesman said the pilot had not informed air traffic control that there was turbulence, or that there were injured passengers on board among the 408 passengers and 14 crew.
The airline said the fasten-seat-belt signs had been on at the time. Japanese television showed pictures of medical crews tending to passengers after the aircraft landed at Narita half an hour later.
- Air India to bring back 383 more Indians from Japan - Mar 17, 2011
- 380 Indians to return from Japan Saturday - Mar 19, 2011
- At least 21 people injured on Vietnam Airlines flight to Paris - Oct 20, 2010
- Pakistani hurt as flight hits turbulence - Aug 13, 2011
- Air India to run special flights to Japan - Mar 16, 2011
- Air India flight turbulence leaves passengers injured, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- Lufthansa introduces new jet service, hopes to increase India market share - Aug 08, 2012
- Now, Qantas 747 forced to return back to Sydney following electrical system problem - Nov 15, 2010
- Boeing gets ready to unveil fourth-generation 747 version jetliner - Feb 13, 2011
- DGCA indicts Emirates Airlines - Nov 07, 2010
- Terrified passengers were almost flying across cabin in turbulence hit V Oz flight - Feb 01, 2011
- Emirates Airline indicted for flight mishandling (Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Air India turbulence injures passengers, probe ordered (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Drunk woman prevents plane landing - Aug 16, 2011
- Someone threw me out, says boy who survived China crash - Aug 25, 2010