42 Tamil Nadu fishermen held captive in Andhra Pradesh releasedAugust 26th, 2008 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, August 26 (IANS) Fortytwo Tamil Nadu fishermen held captive by fishermen in Andhra Pradesh for damaging nets were released late Tuesday alongwith their seven mechanised boats, sources said.The Tamil Nadu Fishing Boat Owners Association negotiated with the Andhra Pradesh fishermen and Rs.150,000 was paid as compensation to secure the release of the fishermen.
Negotiations are on for the release of 17 other vessels and over 100 men, members of the association told IANS.
Over 140 fishermen from Kasimedu, in the northern suburbs of here, were held captive since Sunday night for a ransom in Nellore district’s Krishnapuram village in the neighbouring state for damaging nets.
- 120 fishermen of Tamil Nadu detained by Andhra counterparts - Aug 26, 2008
- Efforts on to free Tamil Nadu fishermen held in Andhra (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Tamil fishermen held in Andhra Pradesh freed - Aug 27, 2008
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- 150 Tamil Nadu fishermen detained in Andhra: group - Aug 25, 2008
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Take strong stand against Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Nov 07, 2011
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry; spares Andhra (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Five evacuation teams deployed in Andhra - Nov 06, 2010
- India asks Sri Lanka to free fishermen - Jul 26, 2012