42 child labourers rescued in Delhi, PunjabJune 7th, 2011 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 7 (IANS) As many as 42 child labourers, including 34 from Delhi, were rescued from sweet shops and roadside eateries in the capital, according to a child rights NGO.
“In raids conducted in Delhi and Punjab, 42 child labourers - 34 from Delhi and eight from Jalandhar - were rescued. The 34 children rescued in Delhi were from Narela in the Samaypur Badli and Alipur police station area,” a statement of Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA) said Tuesday.
The operation was conducted by the labour department and Delhi Police on a complaint filed by the BBA.
“The rescued children were working in different units such as sweet shops, roadside eateries and oil factory and were trafficked from Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal. They were in the age group of 8-14 years,” the statement said.
“The children had to work for more than 10-12 hours everyday without proper food and rest. They were all working in claustrophobic rooms, without proper ventilation and hence most of them had ill health and looked malnourished,” it added.
The children have been taken to a shelter home and will be presented before the Child Welfare Committee (CWC). They will later be given their release certificates and a rehabilitation amount of Rs.20,000 under the Bonded Labour Act.
The children will then be handed over to their parents.
- 26 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Apr 25, 2011
- 39 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Apr 26, 2011
- 26 child workers rescued in Delhi - Feb 15, 2011
- 20 child labourers rescued in Delhi - May 10, 2011
- 25 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Mar 09, 2011
- Police arrest child killer employer - Apr 21, 2011
- Six units employing child labourers sealed, 20 held - Mar 24, 2011
- 15 child workers rescued in Delhi (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- 36 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Apr 19, 2011
- 29 child labourers rescued from Delhi - Jul 15, 2011
- NGO launches action week before child labour day - Jun 09, 2010
- No rehabilitation for 95 percent of rescued child labourers - Jan 25, 2011
- Cancel licences of units employing child labourers: Court - Apr 28, 2011
- Police rescue children from traffickers - Mar 11, 2011
- Child labourers rescued from Delhi electrical unit - May 05, 2010
Tags: age group, bachao andolan, bba, child labourers, child welfare, delhi police, ill health, labour department, New Delhi, ngo, oil factory, police station, proper food, proper ventilation, punjab, roadside eateries, sweet shops, uttar pradesh, welfare committee, west bengal