400,000 poultry culled in bird flu hit AssamDecember 16th, 2008 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Dec 16 (IANS) More than 400,000 poultry have been culled in Assam after an outbreak of the deadly bird flu, officials Tuesday said. “We have almost completed culling operations and now the mopping drive is on,” Assam veterinary director A. Kakati said.
At least eight Assam districts were hit by the bird flu virus two weeks ago after hundreds of chicken and ducks died suddenly.
“An estimated 50,000 more birds are being culled and we expect to complete the drive in the next couple of days,” Kakati said.
An Assam government spokesman said there were reports of bird flu spreading to new villages in eastern and western Assam.
“We are awaiting laboratory test reports although we have begun preventive culling to minimize the risk,” the official said.
Central government health teams were continuing door-to-door check ups to ensure that the virus does not spread to humans.
“So far there are no reports of the virus contracting humans,” central health ministry official Parthajyoti Gogoi said.
The Assam government has so far paid Rs.10 million as compensation to villagers for the culled poultry.
- Culling continues in avian flu-hit district of Meghalaya - Jan 13, 2012
- Bird flu: culling operations on in West Bengal, Assam (Lead) - Dec 23, 2008
- Disinfection in Meghalaya bird flu-hit area completed - Jan 22, 2012
- Assam bird flu: poultry culling on, local resistance hampers drive - Dec 23, 2008
- Poultry culling begins in Meghalaya - Jan 12, 2012
- Religious beliefs hampering culling in Assam - Dec 14, 2008
- Fresh death of fowls, culling continues in Meghalaya - Jan 15, 2012
- Fresh cases of bird flu in Tripura - Mar 06, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu - Mar 23, 2011
- Bird flu spreading to new areas in Assam - Dec 26, 2008
- Tripura, Mizoram on bird flu alert - Feb 25, 2011
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Over 6,200 poultry culled after fresh flu in Tripura - Feb 02, 2012
- Bird flu: 7,000 fowls culled in Bhubaneswar - Feb 05, 2012