4,000 people to take part in London 2012 test eventApril 24th, 2012 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 24 (IANS) Four thousand Britons will take part in the biggest test event this week for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The third and final test event will simulate a number of incidents that could happen during the Games and test how different agencies work together to deal with them. These exercises are part of a wider testing programme being run by Olympic organisers.
This week’s test will replicate the eighth, ninth and tenth days of the Olympics(4th-6th August) when 26 sporting events will take place across 14 venues, including beach volleyball at Horse Guards Parade, the triathlon in Hyde Park and tennis at Wimbledon.
Jeremy Hunt, Minister of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport, said: “Obviously nothing can fully prepare us for the reality of hosting the world’s biggest sporting event, but we really want to make sure we do all we can to ensure we deliver an Olympics and Paralympics that are as safe and secure as possible, while also making sure everyone involved has a great time.”
This test event will run from April 24-26 and involves the Games organisers, the Government, emergency services, local councils, health providers and transport operators.
It will test the effectiveness, resilience and decision-making capability of key Games-time command and control structures and processes. These will include communication between the Games organisers, the Government and other partners, as well as communication with the media, the general public and operational staff.
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
- Top divers to compete in World Cup and Olympic test - Feb 18, 2012
- 2012 Olympics to generate extra 1 billion pounds: British PM - Jan 11, 2012
- London Paralympics Games organisers launch short film - Aug 27, 2010
- 12-week-long festival to herald in London Olympics - Jun 21, 2012
- Lusofonia Games organisers ask media to help spot graft - Mar 07, 2011
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- London Olympics likely to be under budget - Feb 29, 2012
- London 2012 on time and within budget - Jun 14, 2012
- F1 legend Senna inspiration for Brazilian triathlete - May 29, 2012
- Latest craze at the Games: Therapeutic tape (Olympic diary) - Aug 05, 2012
- UK deploys 1,200 additional troops for Olympic security - Jul 25, 2012
- Sebastian Coe dismisses concerns over security of London 2012 - Dec 10, 2011
- London apologises to North Korea after flag blunder - Jul 26, 2012
- London Olympics to surpass Beijing 2008: British minister - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: 6th august, beach volleyball, control structures, final test, government emergency, health providers, horse guards parade, hyde park, jeremy hunt, key games, local councils, london 2012, olympic organisers, operational staff, paralympic games, paralympics, tennis at wimbledon, test event, time command, transport operators