400 squash players to participate in junior nationalOctober 30th, 2008 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Oct 30 (IANS) Expectations are high as the sub junior and junior National Squash Championship commences here Friday at the ICL Squash Academy.There are over 400 participants from 19 States with the maximum participation from Tamil Nadu with 123 entries.
There will be 10 age-group categories in the individual event and this will be followed by the inter-state championships (Nov 3-8) comprising four events - boys and girls under 15 and 19.
The top junior players vying for the boys under 19 title include Vikram Malhotra and Aditya Jagtap, both from Maharashtra.
These two along with the top two seeds in the boys under 17 category, Ravi Dixit and Ramit Tandon, were part of the Indian team that finished fourth at the World Junior Championships in Switzerland earlier this year.
In the girls under 19 category, Dipika Pallikal and V. Anwesha Reddy, both from Tamil Nadu, have been seeded to reach the finals.
Upcoming stars, Mahesh Mangaonkar from Maharashtra (Asia No.2 in boys under 15) and Anaka Alankamony (Asian No.1 in girls under 15) are the top seeds in the under 15 boys and girls category respectively.
“Squash in the country has seen a definite upward trend both in terms of international results as well as public awareness. As a result of which, the ICL Squash Academy is expected to see throngs of supporters and squash enthusiasts from all over the country during the championships,” said Srivatsan Subramanian, secretary general, Squash Rackets Federation of India (SRFI).
- Big field for Indian Junior Open squash - Sep 05, 2011
- Record entries for National Junior Squash Championships - Oct 24, 2010
- Three Indians in top 10 in World junior squash rankings - Oct 04, 2011
- India in tough pool for U-21 Squash World Cup - Jan 29, 2012
- Indian excels in Asian junior squash - Jun 23, 2011
- India's Mahesh, Anaka second in world junior squash - Jan 11, 2012
- Mangaonkar, Pallikal to lead Indian challenge at Asian squash - Jan 15, 2009
- Squash: Anaka, Kush annex Asian titles - Jun 24, 2012
- Ghosal is highest ranked Indian in World squash - Jun 02, 2010
- Mahesh, Anaka in finals of Indian Open squash - Sep 09, 2011
- Three Indians in Asian Squash finals - Jun 22, 2012
- Kush upsets Alsaraj for junior squash title - Sep 10, 2011
- Anaka in quarterfinals of British Open junior squash - Jan 04, 2012
- Tandon shocks top seed Dixit for junior squash title - Oct 29, 2010
- Tamil Nadu pick up two titles in junior national squash - Nov 02, 2010