40 stranded foreigners evacuated from SikkimSeptember 21st, 2011 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 21 (IANS) Around 40 foreigners who were stuck in quake-hit Sikkim have been evacuated, the government said Wednesday, clarifying that its earlier figure of 400 was wrong.
“Kindly refer to the release on earthquake update earlier sent to you. The number of foreigners stranded is 40 and not 400. All have since been evacuated,” an amendment sent by the home ministry said.
The update also said that at least 57 people had been killed in Sikkim as a result of the Sunday quake.
But Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling said in Gangtok the death toll had mounted to 68, with more than 300 injured.
“The tragedy has been enormous with 68 people killed and more than 300 injured. The loss has been extensive with 2,000 houses collapsed and more than 100,000 houses damaged,” Chamling told reporters.
“This (death toll) may increase further as rescue and release teams reach further into interior areas,” the home ministry said.
- Sikkim quake toll 78, Chidambaram promises all help (Lead) - Sep 22, 2011
- Quake toll in Sikkim mounts to 68 - Sep 21, 2011
- Rahul visits quake injured in Sikkim - Sep 21, 2011
- More aid to Sikkim, will visit state soon: Mamata - Sep 19, 2011
- Sikkim quake: Tripura donates Rs.25 lakh - Sep 25, 2011
- 42 die in Indian quake, rains hamper relief work - Sep 19, 2011
- Himachal gives Rs.2 crore for Sikkim quake victims - Sep 23, 2011
- Sikkim quake toll reaches 78 - Sep 22, 2011
- 68 dead in earthquake; toll may rise - Sep 20, 2011
- Sikkim quake toll rises to 40 - Sep 20, 2011
- Deaths, destruction as strong quake hits India, Nepal - Sep 19, 2011
- Mamata visits Sikkim, meets quake-affected - Sep 20, 2011
- Turkey quake toll reaches 279 - Oct 25, 2011
- Troopers rescue 25 in Sikkim - Sep 22, 2011
- Karmapa prays for quake affected people - Sep 20, 2011