40 militants, two soldiers killed in Pakistan’s tribal regionSeptember 13th, 2008 - 11:51 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 13 (DPA) Clashes in Pakistan’s lawless tribal areas along the Afghan border have left at least 40 rebels and two soldiers dead, officials said.Thousands of troops - backed by gunship helicopters, tanks and artillery fire - Friday targeted several militant position in the Tang Khata, Rashkai and Khazana areas of Bajaur tribal district, a known sanctuary of Taliban and al-Qaeda fighters, who launch cross-border attacks on the US-led international forces in Afghanistan.
“According to initial reports, around 40 insurgents died while two soldiers were martyred in the action,” army spokesman Major Murad Khan said.
One dozen more soldiers were injured in the firefights that continued for several hours, he said.
The fresh clashes came a day after severe fighting, which destroyed the insurgents’ command and control system, killed nearly 100 militants in the same district.
Taliban toll now mounts to around 700 in the clashes over the past mone month when Islamabad dispatched troops to the region to eliminate Taliban hide-outs.
But the military operation has also triggered an exodus from Bajaur to safer areas in the adjoining North-West Frontier Province.
More than 200,000 people have so far migrated from the conflict zone, according to official figures.
- 40 militants, two soldiers killed in Pakistan clashes - Sep 13, 2008
- 18 militants killed in army operation in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2012
- Two Pakistani Taliban leaders killed - Sep 02, 2012
- 3 militiamen, over 20 militants killed in Pakistan clashes - Aug 25, 2012
- Taliban 'captures' dozens of Pak soldiers in FATA - Jun 17, 2010
- 10 soldiers, 40 militants killed in Pakistan clash - Jan 31, 2012
- Pakistani troops kill 12 in offensive on tribal districts - Sep 16, 2008
- Eight militants killed in Pakistan - Oct 04, 2011
- 10 militants killed in Pakistan - Sep 30, 2011
- Pakistan forces kill nine Taliban along Afghan border - Sep 20, 2008
- Taliban militants destroy another girls' school in FATA - Jul 12, 2010
- 36 militants, six soldiers killed in Pakistan - Sep 11, 2008
- 15 dead in Pakistan check post attack (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- 21 Taliban militants killed in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Mar 24, 2010
- 33 insurgents killed in northwest Pakistan - Apr 29, 2011