40 hurt as bus falls off Chennai flyoverJune 27th, 2012 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 27 (IANS) Around 50 bus passengers had a miraculous escape after the vehicle plunged down a flyover in the Tamil Nadu capital city Wednesday afternoon, police said. Around 40 passengers were injured in the incident.
The state-owned Metropolitan Transport Corporation bus was plying between Broadway and Vadapalani in the city.
On the Anna flyover, the bus was taking a left turn when it crashed into the side wall and fell down on the road below from a height of around 20 feet.
Passersby helped the passengers get out of the bus wreckage. Ambulances and fire tenders also rushed to the spot to rescue the passengers.
Traffic on the busy Anna Salai road was disrupted for several hours following the accident.
Based on preliminary investigation, police said the driver lost control of the bus while negotiating a turn.
However, there was also a complaint that the driver was speaking on a mobile phone when the accident happened.
Tamil Nadu Minister for Social Welfare B. Valarmathi and senior police officials rushed to the spot to oversee the rescue work.
- Three killed, 25 injured in Rajasthan accident - Apr 16, 2012
- Lucky escape for 25 kids in school bus accident (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- 17 killed, several injured in Tamil Nadu bus accident - Dec 02, 2010
- 22 charred to death in Tamil Nadu bus accident (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- 15 killed in Tamil Nadu train collision: Police - Sep 14, 2011
- 51 killed, 46 injured as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Third Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- 40 die as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Two men killed in freak Delhi accident (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- One killed, 12 students injured in UP road mishaps - May 03, 2012
- 34 killed in Himachal bus accident (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Seven killed, 85 injured in Tamil Nadu train accident - Sep 14, 2011
- 51 killed, 46 injured as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Fourth Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Court queries school girl's death in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- 46 die in road accidents across 3 states (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- Tamil Nadu school girl death: Motor vehicle inspector arrested - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: ambulances, broadway, bus passengers, fire tenders, flyover, june 27, left turn, metropolitan transport, mobile phone, police officials, preliminary investigation, salai, social welfare, tamil nadu capital, traffic, transport corporation, vadapalani, wednesday afternoon, wreckage