40 dead as newspaper offices bombed in Nigeria (Second Lead)April 26th, 2012 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
Lagos, April 26 (IANS) At least 37 people were killed and 100 others injured Thursday when suicide bombers rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into the office of This Day daily, a leading Nigerian newspaper, in the capital city Abuja. A second office was bombed in Kaduna state in which three people died.
Abisola Fernades, medical director of Safelive Foundation Hospital, who was also part of the rescue team, told Xinhua that at least 37 bodies were taken away by emergency workers deployed in Abuja.
He said security personnel and emergency workers at the scene of the explosion in Abuja made frantic efforts to bring out the mangled bodies of the victims. He said about 100 more people were injured in the attack.
Kaduna state police spokesperson Aminu Lawan told Xinhua three lives were lost and several others were injured in the attack.
Yushau A. Shuaib, spokesperson for the National Emergency Management Agency, said rescue personnel had arrived at both places to take the injured to hospital.
He said the explosion in Kaduna took place at a building housing many media houses including This Day, The Sun and The Moment.
Shuaib had earlier said reports indicated that explosive devices were planted within the premises, and it was not a case of suicide bombing.
No outfit has claimed responsibility for the blasts. But the Boko Haram has been carrying out similar attacks in the country, said Xinhua.
BBC said three people were killed in the Abuja blast and a similar number in Kaduna.
- 37 dead as newspaper offices bombed in Nigeria (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Newspaper offices bombed in Nigeria - Apr 26, 2012
- 12 killed in Nigeria suicide bombing - Jun 03, 2012
- Several injured in Nigeria blast - Feb 20, 2012
- 18 killed in UN building bombing in Nigeria - Aug 26, 2011
- 11 killed in Nigeria church blasts during Christmas prayers (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- 25 killed in Nigeria bomb blasts - Jun 27, 2011
- Over 100 killed in Nigerian church attacks : UN - Jun 23, 2012
- Eight killed in Nigeria suicide bombing - Aug 06, 2012
- U.S. warns of terrorist attacks in Nigerian capital - Nov 07, 2011
- Easter bomb blast kills at least 38 in Kaduna, Nigeria - Apr 10, 2012
- Nigeria: Death toll in Jos church attack reaches 19 - Mar 13, 2012
- Blast in Nigeria kills bomber - Apr 02, 2012
- Indian killed, six Indians hurt in Nigeria terror attack (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Two killed, 26 Boko Haram members held in Nigeria - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,