40 bonded labourers rescued in Uttar PradeshNovember 26th, 2011 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 26 (IANS) As many as 40 bonded labourers, including children and women, were freed from a brick kiln in Uttar Pradesh’s Bhimnagar district, police said Saturday.
The bonded labourers, including 10 women, and 12 children, were rescued late Friday from the brick kiln in Hayatnagar town following a joint operation by district authorities, labour department and police.
“Majority of the labourers freed are natives of western regions of Uttar Pradesh. After giving some advance money, the brick kiln owners managed to bring them at the site around two months ago,” police inspector Anil Mishra told reporters in Bhimnagar, some 300 km from Lucknow.
“The labourers were held hostage and forced to work without any labour charges,” he added.
According to police, the contractors at the brick kiln and its owners managed to escape during the raid.
- 70 bonded labourers freed in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 29, 2011
- 25 Chhattisgarh child labourers rescued from brick kiln - Jan 31, 2011
- Eight bonded labourers freed in Madhya Pradesh - May 12, 2010
- Seven bonded labourers rescued - Aug 21, 2010
- Not invited to dinner, man kills neighbour - Jun 29, 2012
- Police charge company with child labour - Mar 05, 2011
- Six killed in wall collapse - Jan 04, 2011
- Police raid rave party in Hyderabad, arrest 30 youth - Jun 23, 2012
- NHRC secures the release of bonded labourers in Baghpat - Jun 02, 2009
- 19 workers rescued from kiln return to Orissa - Jun 29, 2010
- Two held with fake currency notes - Oct 15, 2011
- 11 electrocuted in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Aug 31, 2010
- Seven devotees killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Apr 08, 2011
- Four women die as boat capsizes in Assam - Apr 24, 2012
- One killed in college building collapse - Apr 04, 2011