3G trials in Delhi by September endSeptember 11th, 2008 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 11 (IANS) The state-owned telecom operator Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) will conduct trials of third generation (3G) services by the end of this month in Delhi and launch commercially in December, the government announced Thursday.MTNL’s 3G trials will be conducted in and around the capital’s Connaught Place area.
“Indoor trial of 3G in Delhi has already been completed,” an official statement said.
“The launch will give people a feel of high speed data, video streaming etc which come as part of the 3G services,” the statement further added.
The company claims to have procured the core equipment for the services and is presently mobilising the radio equipment.
While the government is yet to allocate 3G spectrum to private players through the auctioning mode, MTNL and BSNL have been allotted one block of 3G spectrum.
The only condition is that the two public sector undertakings (PSUs) have to match the price offered by the highest bidder.
The company will formally launch the 3G services in Delhi by the end of this year while in Mumbai, the services will be available early next year.
MTNL’s 3G services plans for Mumbai and Delhi include installing 3G GSM core capacity of 750,000 lines each in the two cities.
- BSNL, MTNL lost subscribers post mobile number portability - Aug 05, 2011
- MTNL invites bids for 3G roaming in Delhi and Mumbai - Oct 11, 2010
- 2G spectrum allotment followed TRAI norms: Raja - Aug 09, 2010
- BSNL launches Bharat Berry push e-mail service - Nov 14, 2011
- BSNL, MTNL say not seeking concessions on 3G payment - May 20, 2010
- '3G auction completion takes India a step forward' - May 19, 2010
- Market induced reduced tariff lowered BSNL, MTNL revenues: Pilot - Nov 29, 2010
- Tata Docomo rolls out 3G-service in India's tech hub - Nov 03, 2010
- Government asks 3G auction winners to pay by May 31 - May 21, 2010
- BSNL to expand 3G services to 120 more cities by December - Nov 04, 2010
- Indian telecom firms gearing up for 3G telephony - Jan 24, 2011
- BSNL 3G services to be in 760 cities by December (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Nov 04, 2010
- BWA spectrum auction fetches Rs. 38,300 crore - Jun 11, 2010
- 3G auction issue to be resolved soon: Minister - Feb 19, 2010
- BWA auction ends, government reaps $8.5 bn - Jun 11, 2010