38 held in Chennai for protesting death of Tamil civilians in Sri LankaJanuary 30th, 2009 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 30 (IANS) At least 38 people were arrested Friday for protesting the killing of Tamil civilians in Sri Lanka, police said. The protesters were on a road leading to the Sri Lanka’s deputy high commissioner’s office here.Most of the arrested are students, according to the police.
Staff at the deputy high commissioner’s office did not see or hear the protests, but saw it on television news, diplomatic sources said. The sources added that they have full confidence in the law and order machinery of Tamil Nadu.
Security had been tightened outside the mission in south Chennai Thursday after a man set himself on fire outside a building housing central government offices to protest the killing of Tamil civilians in Sri Lanka, triggering a mob attack on a Bank of Ceylon branch.
A sub-inspector and three constables have been placed under suspension for the attack on the bank.
- Security beefed up outside Sri Lanka mission in Chennai (Lead) - Jan 30, 2009
- Tamil man kills himself over Sri Lanka violence (Second Lead) - Jan 29, 2009
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- VCK activists protest against killings of fishermen by Lankan Navy - Jul 12, 2010
- 175 Sri Lankan tourists to return following protests (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Curfew relaxed in violence-hit Ghaziabad area - Sep 17, 2012
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Kudankulam protests: One killed in police firing - Sep 10, 2012
- Sri Lankan president's kin attacked in Tamil Nadu - Jan 10, 2012
- Fisherman's death: India protests killing, Sri Lanka denies incident (Roundup) - Jan 13, 2011
- DMK leaders court arrest during anti-Sri Lanka protest - Feb 16, 2011
- Fringe pro-LTTE groups behind Tamil Nadu violence: Sri Lankan envoy (Interview) - Sep 06, 2012
- Photos of suspects in Odisha violence released - Sep 13, 2012
- Stray protests in Tamil Nadu against Rajapaksa - Oct 14, 2010
- Sri Lanka issues travel warning for southern India - Sep 04, 2012