35 injured in Rajasthan clashJanuary 15th, 2012 - 11:43 pm ICT by IANS
Jodhpur, Jan 15 (IANS) At least 35 people, mostly policemen, were injured in Rajasthan Sunday in a clash between police and villagers who were demanding arrest of criminals involved in murdering three people during a robbery Saturday, officials said.
According to police, thousands of villagers gathered Sunday on the National Highway 112 near Bilara town, some 330 km from Jaipur, to protest the alleged police inaction in the Friday night robbery.
Five members of a family were sleeping in their farmhouse when some assailants barged in and attacked them with sharp-edged weapons.
Ratna Ram, 80, wife Dakhu Devi,75, and grand daughter Sangeeta,18, were killed and while two other family members sustained injuries.
“While the villagers were blocking the road, some youths started throwing stones at the policemen who were on law and order duty,” a senior police officer told IANS.
He added that the police used tear gas to disperse the crowd.
“In the stone pelting, some 30 policemen sustained injuries. At least five policemen are in serious condition. All are undergoing treatment at hospitals in Bilara and Jodhpur,” said the officer.
The highway remained blocked for over three hours.
The officer said that police are trying to arrest the robbers.
- Armed dacoits rob bus passengers - Mar 14, 2012
- Rajasthan's missing nurse asked to report on duty - Sep 28, 2011
- Key suspect held in missing Rajasthan nurse case - Sep 30, 2011
- Mob torches outpost, five policemen injured - Jan 05, 2011
- Two double murders leave Ludhiana shocked - Feb 03, 2012
- Two bank robbers killed in Jharkhand gun battle - Feb 10, 2011
- Two killed in villagers-police clash in Orissa - Jul 15, 2011
- Mob fury kills police officer (Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Police officer killed in mob fury, 50 held (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- 25 hurt as Haryana farmers' land stir turns violent (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 22, 2012
- Six injured as villagers clash with police - Mar 05, 2012
- Six cops injured in mob attack in Rajasthan - Aug 08, 2012
- Rajasthan cops beaten up by villagers demanding power - Aug 06, 2012
- Telangana activists damage buses coming from Andhra - Oct 03, 2011
- Angry villagers block Punjab highway - Aug 07, 2010
Tags: assailants, bilara, clash, criminals, crowd, edged weapons, family members, farmhouse, friday night, grand daughter, jaipur, law and order, police inaction, police officer, policemen, robbers, robbery, tear gas, throwing stones, undergoing treatment