33 Maoists arrested in Jharkhand jungle in AugustSeptember 2nd, 2011 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Sep 2 (IANS) At least 33 Maoist guerrillas were arrested in August in a joint operation by Jharkhand and Orissa Police in Saranda jungle in Jharkhand’s West Singhbhum district, police said Friday.
?We arrested total 33 Maoist guerrillas by launching operation against Maoists in Saranda jungle in August. The operation was launched to free Saranda, which is termed a liberated zone by the CPI-Maoist. The CPI-Maoist has established Saranda jungle as its headquarter of the Eastern Regional Bureau,? Naveen Kumar, Deputy Inspector General of Police of Kolhan region, said Friday at a press conference.
Saranda jungle, spread over 900 km, is situated in West Singhbhum district of Jharkhand.
In the month-long operation, police seized three weapons, 225 rounds of ammunition, four wireless sets and 175 IEDs. Police also seized secret ration and medicine dumps, and recovered big steel trunks and water storage tanks used by the Maoists.
?This was a joint operation of Jharkhand and Orissa. Orissa Police entered into Saranda jungle and helped us in the operation,? said Singh. He denied allegations that police had arrested innocent tribal people in the name of anti-Maoist operation.
Singh, however, admitted that they have record of only 17 to 18 being Maoists of the 33 arrested as Maoist guerrillas.
He denied that any civilian was killed by police. ?Only one person was killed in cross-fire during the operation,? he said.
- Seven Maoists arrested, landmine recovered - Mar 03, 2012
- Three Maoists escape from jail in Jharkhand - Jan 17, 2011
- Jharkhand's anti-Maoist push drives tuskers wild - Sep 16, 2011
- Maoists' escape: Judicial custody for arrested jailer, wardens - Jan 18, 2011
- Maoist shutdown hit transport services in Ranchi - Sep 30, 2010
- Major hunt for Maoists in Jharkhand, West Bengal (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2010
- Maoists blow up water pump in Jharkhand - Mar 18, 2011
- Two CRPF troopers injured in gun fight - Dec 20, 2010
- Three Maoists held with claymore mines - Apr 23, 2011
- Maoist strategist held in Bengal (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Maoists may undertake major offensive in Jharkhand: Police - Feb 12, 2012
- Four Maoists arrested in Jharkhand - Jul 01, 2010
- Policeman killed in gunfight with Maoists - Sep 25, 2010
- BSF chopper crashes in Jharkhand, three killed - Oct 19, 2011
- Rocket launchers found in Jharkhand Maoist den - Jun 07, 2011
Tags: allegations, ammunition, CPI, cross fire, deputy inspector general, district police, dumps, jungle, maoist, maoist guerrillas, maoists, medicine, orissa police, ranchi, regional bureau, saranda, trunks, water storage tanks, weapons