32 booked for securing fake caste certificates in OrissaApril 10th, 2008 - 9:15 pm ICT by admin
Bhubaneswar, April 10 (IANS) The police have booked at least 32 people on the charges of manipulating caste certificates and enjoying government benefits in Kandhamal district of Orissa, an official said Thursday. Kandhamal district, about 200 km from here, witnessed communal clashes between Hindu and Christian activists in December last year. Five people were killed and hundreds of houses of both communities were put to torch.
The tribals, mostly Hindus, alleged that non-tribal people from a community known as Pana are occupying important government posts in the district and enjoying government benefits by submitting false caste certificates.
“We have registered criminal cases against at least 32 people after we found that they had obtained false caste certificates,” a senior official told IANS.
“We received 122 such allegations from tribals. After inquiry, we have also recommended departmental actions against at least 53 government officials for securing government jobs by submitting false caste certificate,” he said, refusing to be named.
The tribals were angry after they found that some non-tribal people were enjoying government benefits by submitting false caste certificates, he said.
- Orissa Tribals protest others usurping their jobs, benefits - Jan 28, 2010
- Thousands protest caste certificate manipulation - Nov 11, 2011
- Naveen Patnaik could have prevented Saraswati's murder: BJP ex-minister - Mar 10, 2011
- Tribals demonstrate in Orissa for revival of benefits - Jan 29, 2010
- Chhattisgarh tribals issued invalid caste certificates - Aug 19, 2012
- Orissa tribal community accuses state government of bias - May 12, 2009
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- IAS official suspended for selling tribal land - Oct 11, 2011
- CPI-M to launch stir for reserving jobs for Muslims - Feb 26, 2012
- In intercaste marriage, facts decide offspring's status: Court - Jan 19, 2012
- Only parliament can modify reserved communities list: Court - Apr 08, 2012
- Tripura mulls reserving jobs for Muslims - Apr 18, 2011
- Life in Assam hit by shutdowns, blockade - May 07, 2012
- Mamata expands subsidised rice scheme - Jun 01, 2011
- Left wants forest land norms relaxed for non-tribals - Apr 01, 2011