30 killed as school building collapses in Haiti (Second Lead)November 8th, 2008 - 1:02 pm ICT by IANS
Port-au-Prince, Nov 8 (DPA) At least 30 students were killed and more 100 injured when a school building collapsed in the Petion Ville suburb of Haitian capital Port-au-Prince.The Evangelical Promise school in the area of Nerette collapsed at around 10 a.m. (15.00 GMT) Friday, with some 700 students inside, Haitian Radio Metropole reported. The three-storey school educated students from kindergarten to high school.
The number of dead could not yet be officially determined because many of the children and teachers were likely still trapped in the ruins, Mayor Clair Lydie Parent said.
The children were in their classrooms at the time of the collapse, Michaele Gedeon, president of Haiti’s Red Cross told CNN. “The whole school collapsed on the kids,” she said.
The cause of the collapse was not known.
The US Agency for International Development said late Friday that it had dispatched an immediate disaster response team that would be followed by a further 38 personnel, four search and rescue dogs and 14,000 kg of rescue equipment.
“We are having difficulty removing students from the rubble because we don’t have heavy duty search-and-rescue equipment,” said Alex Claudon, also of the Red Cross. He said the number of casualties could be very high.
Gedeon wasn’t at the site, but said she could hear rescuers calming down injured students as she coordinated emergency efforts over the phone.
“On the phone you can hear so many children crying…and saying, ‘This one is dead, that one is dead’,” Gedeon said.
- Seven killed as school building collapses in Haiti - Nov 08, 2008
- Haiti school building collapse toll touches 30 (Lead) - Nov 08, 2008
- Haiti building collapse toll rises to 84 - Nov 09, 2008
- Quake destroys homes, damages public buildings in Haiti - Jan 13, 2010
- Thousands feared killed as massive quake hits Haiti (Fourth Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- Hundreds feared dead in massive earthquake in Haiti (Third Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- Tens of thousands feared dead in Haitian earthquake (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- 170,000 bodies of quake victims recovered in Haiti - Jan 29, 2010
- 'Tens of thousands' killed in Haiti quake - Jan 14, 2010
- Thousands feared dead as massive earthquake destroys Haiti's capital - Jan 13, 2010
- Massive earthquake devastates Haiti (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- Violence erupts after presidential elections in Haiti - Dec 09, 2010
- Relief effort ramps up in Haiti as survivor window closes - Jan 17, 2010
- 10 kids rescued from Haitian human smuggler - Jul 28, 2011
- Bodies of eight Chinese officers found in Haiti - Jan 17, 2010