30 dead in China stormMay 11th, 2012 - 11:03 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 11 (IANS) At least 30 people died and several others were missing Friday after hail and torrential rains battered a mountainous region in northwest China, authorities said.
The storm affected around 35,000 people of Minxian county in Gansu province, Xinhua reported. At least 29 people were missing and 40 have been hospitalised.
Roads were blocked, houses collapsed, and farmland destroyed due to the extreme weather, officials said.
About 2,000 officials and 800 soldiers and militiamen have reached the region to rescue trapped villagers from storm-battered areas.
The provincial Red Cross sent 1,000 quilts and 1,000 coats to help in disaster relief efforts. The provincial finance bureau has earmarked two million yuan (around $320,000) to repair damaged facilities.
The storm disrupted power in six townships, damaged several homes, hospitals and schools, and destroyed over 7,000 hectares of crops.
Minxian is a mountainous county with a population of 450,000. It is located 150 km from Zhouqu, where a rain-triggered mudslide killed more than 1,500 people in August 2010.
- 40 dead in China storms - May 13, 2012
- 19 dead, 45 missing in China storm - May 11, 2012
- 337 killed in China mudslides - Aug 10, 2010
- China mourns mudslide victims, toll rises to 1,248 (Roundup) - Aug 15, 2010
- At least 127 dead, more than 1,000 missing after landslides in northwest China - Aug 09, 2010
- 702 dead, 1,042 missing in China mudslides (Lead) - Aug 10, 2010
- China moves to prevent further flooding, as rescue continues - Aug 09, 2010
- Rain triggered landslide kills 127 in China - Aug 09, 2010
- China to resettle 45,000 mudslide-affected people - Aug 11, 2010
- Man rescued three days after China mudslides - Aug 11, 2010
- At least 36 killed, 23 missing in China torrential rains - Aug 17, 2010
- Downpour wreaks havoc across China - Jul 24, 2012
- 23 die as more mudslides hit China - Aug 22, 2010
- Rescuers hunt for 1,300 missing in China landslides - Aug 09, 2010
- China to mourn mudslide victims Sunday, flags to be at half-mast (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
Tags: coats, disaster relief efforts, extreme weather, farmland, finance bureau, gansu province, hail, hectares, militiamen, mountainous county, mountainous region, northwest china, provincial finance, quilts, red cross, townships, two million, weather officials, xinhua, yuan