30 arrested for rioting in Chennai suburbSeptember 17th, 2008 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 17 (IANS) At least 30 people were arrested Wednesday following clashes between two armed groups having allegiance to the ruling and the opposition political parties over a prime piece of property in a northern suburb here, the police said.Conflicting claims over 3.5 acres of prime land in Red Hills north of here led to the clash in which over a dozen people sustained minor injuries late Tuesday.
The arrested include “Gym” Karuna of the ruling Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam along with eight of his supporters and 21 supporters of an All India Anna DMK leader Muniyandi, official sources told IANS.
Trouble arose when a former AIADMK leader pitched tents over the land proclaiming it “Dr Ambedkar Manram”. He tried to sell it to real estate speculators to which a ruling party supporter Karuna staked a rival claim a few days ago.
Karuna’s supporters allegedly forcibly stopped the car owned by Muniyandi’s brother Tuesday night and apparently took away valuables and Rs.250,000 cash after smashing the vehicle’s windscreen.
Those arrested were charged with rioting and attempt to murder, police sources added.
Karuna’s boss, “Vellai” Ravi, a criminal, was shot dead in a police shoot-out a few months ago.
- Tamil Nadu polls: Raja's brother arrested for 'bribing' voters - Apr 11, 2011
- Election clashes in Tamil Nadu, DMK MP detained - Mar 29, 2011
- Election Commission acting against DMK, alleges Alagiri - Apr 18, 2011
- 2G scam: AIADMK demands dismissal of DMK Govt. for defending Raja - Dec 28, 2010
- AIADMK releases list of 160 candidates for TN polls - Mar 21, 2011
- 2G scam: AIADMK leaders protest to demand Raja's arrest - Dec 27, 2010
- 24 more Indian fishermen arrested in Sri Lanka - Feb 17, 2011
- Rajapaksa visit: Vaiko, supporters detained - Sep 21, 2012
- AIADMK wins Pudukottai by-election in Tamil Nadu - Jun 15, 2012
- Jayalalithaa to take on DMK ahead of next year's assembly polls - Jul 21, 2010
- Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreement - Mar 20, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- Final tally for Tamil Nadu elections - May 14, 2011
- Cabinet clears setting up of Legislative Council in Tamil Nadu - May 04, 2010
- Presidential poll voting ends in Puducherry, still on in Tamil Nadu - Jul 19, 2012