$3 mn ADB flood aid for PakistanOctober 28th, 2011 - 3:19 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 28 (IANS) The Asian Development Bank (ADB) will give $3 million in flood aid to Pakistan, it said Thursday.
The fund will help the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) to ensure provision of food, drinking water, medicines and tents for the affected people.
The Sindh and Balochistan provinces have been hit by floods since mid-August due to incessant rain. Some 1.8 million people have been displaced, Xinhua reported.
According to the UN, 5.4 million people were affected, and about 400 people have died.
“We hope the grant will increase NDMA’s ability to reach out to poor and the most vulnerable groups particularly women and children facing a desperate situation.
“Many families have lost their entire belongings and source of livelihood and are in urgent need of food and shelter,” said ADB’s country director Werner Liepach.
ADB and the World Bank are jointly assessing the extent of damages. The assessment is expected to help the government in charting out an action plan to restore basic services.
- 2.5 mn Pakistanis need flood aid - Oct 02, 2011
- Pakistan gives out tents, food to flood-hit - Oct 04, 2011
- Over 300 killed, 6 million affected in Pakistan floods - Sep 18, 2011
- UN appeals for $356 million to help flood-hit Pakistan - Sep 18, 2011
- UNICEF seeks $50mn for flood-hit Pakistani kids - Oct 13, 2011
- More than 5 million still affected by floods in Pakistan - Nov 26, 2011
- EU to provide Rs.200 million for flood relief - Oct 13, 2011
- Pakistan wants more flood money as Rs.5 bn lies unutilised - Sep 19, 2011
- Millions of flood affected Pakistanis need help - Nov 26, 2011
- Pakistan situation still critical: UN agencies - Oct 06, 2010
- Pakistan awaits Indian onions, tomatoes - Oct 05, 2011
- Pakistan floods: Toll rises to 412 - Sep 25, 2011
- Oxfam assesses Ladakh flood disaster, seeks help - Aug 17, 2010
- UN calls for over $350 mn to help flood-hit Pakistan - Sep 20, 2011
- UNHCR seeks $33 mn for Pakistan flood victims - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: adb, asian development bank, balochistan, belongings, country director, desperate situation, director werner, disaster management, drinking water, flood aid, floods, incessant rain, livelihood, management authority, medicines, national disaster, pakistan islamabad, sindh, vulnerable groups, xinhua