2G scam: Morani’s bail decision Monday (Lead)May 21st, 2011 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 21 (IANS) A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court here Saturday reserved for May 23 its order on the anticipatory bail plea of Cineyug Films founder Karim Morani who has been named as co-conspirator in the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
Special CBI Judge O.P. Saini said: “Order is reserved on the anticipatory bail plea of accused Morani. The court will pronounce its verdict Monday.”
Morani’s lawyer Sidharath Luthra also submitted a medical report from J.J. Hospital in Mumbai, as was demanded by the court May 10 when he was exempted from personal appearance due to ill health.
“He needs eight small meals in a day, and walk for two hours to maintain a stress free life. His heart functioning is only 45 percent and he is also on heavy medication. Therefore, the court should allow his bail plea,” Luthra said.
However, CBI said that Morani cannot be treated as an innocent.
“Morani has definite role in the entire conspiracy. He is a co-conspirator in this matter. He is not innocent and Rs.209 crore transfer is not an innocent transfer of money,” CBI told the court, opposing his bail plea.
The court, which was also to pronounce its verdict on the bail pleas of co-accused Rajiv Agarwal and Asif Balwa of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables, deferred the matter for May 24.
Meanwhile, the court has allowed the orthopedics mattress in jail for the two officials of Anil Dhirubai Ambani Group (ADAG) Gautam Doshi and Hari Nair.
“However, as per jail rules, accused are to be examined in OPD (out patient department) of Deen Dayal Upadhaya hospital before the use of orthopedic mattress,” said the court.
The court, therefore, directed the jail authorities to take the two to the hospital directly from Tihar Jail May 23 for examination and after examination they be produced before the court.
The first chargesheet of April 2 had named, besides former communication minister A Raja, former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Balwa, Raja’s aide R.K. Chandolia, Swan Telecom’s Vinod Goenka, Unitech’s Sanjay Chandra. All of them are in jail.
In its April 25 supplementary chargesheet, the CBI named Kanimozhi, DMK MP, and Sharad Kumar, chief of Kalaignar TV, as co-conspirators after it traced an illegal money trail of Rs.214 crore in the scam.
Both were Friday arrested and sent to Tihar jail.
The supplementary chargesheet also named Morani as well as Balwa and Aggarwal.
Three ADAG officials, Gautam Doshi, Hari Nair and Surendra Pipara, were also named and subsequently jailed.
Pipara is in the All India Institute of Medical Sciences as he is undergoing treatment.
As of Friday, 13 of them are in judicial custody.
All, except Morani and Pipara, were present Saturday in the court.
- 2G scam: Morani's bail plea dismissed (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- 2G case: Court reserves order on Morani's bail plea - May 26, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani's bail plea dismissed (Third Lead) - May 23, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani's bail plea dismissed (Second Lead) - May 23, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani appears in court, moves bail plea (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- 2G case: Morani's bail plea dismissed, arrested (Second Lead) - May 30, 2011
- 2G case: No bail for Balwas, Rajiv Aggarwal (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- 2G scam: Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar appear in CBI court (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- 2G scam: CBI opposes Siddhartha Behura's bail plea - May 26, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar move high court for bail - May 23, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar's bail plea order after 1 p.m. (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar move high court for bail (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- 2G scam: Bail pleas of five corporate honchos rejected (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar in custody after bail denied (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani exempted from appearance third time - May 12, 2011
Tags: adag, bail plea, bail pleas, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, conspirator, definite role, doshi, fruits and vegetables, gautam, hari nair, heavy medication, jail authorities, medical report, opd, orthopedic mattress, personal appearance, saini, siddharth, spectrum allocation