2G scam: Kanimozhi and Sharad Kumar move court for bail (Lead)September 16th, 2011 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 16 (IANS) DMK MP Kanimozhi and Kalaignar TV chief Sharad Kumar, named as co-conspirators in the 2G spectrum scam, Friday filed a fresh bail plea before a special CBI court here after being denied bail earlier.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) special Judge O.P. Saini had sent Kanimozhi and Sharad Kumar to Tihar Jail after dismissing their bail applications May 20.
They had subsequently approached the Delhi High Court which June 8 dismissed their bail applications.
The duo later filed a special leave petition before the Supreme court, which was dismissed with a common order June 20. But the two were given liberty to file fresh bail applications under section 439 of the Code of Criminal Procedure before the special court after framing of charges.
The apex court had stated that the trial court hearing the case will decide on their fresh bail applications after framing of charges, without being influenced by rejection of the earlier applications.
The duo approached the special CBI court of Judge O.P. Saini Friday with fresh bail applications citing this Supreme Court order. The special court will hear the bail plea Oct 1.
The bail application contended that the case against the petitioners was “based on no evidence” and was “hence false and baseless”. “The petitioners are innocent and… implicated in the present case due to biased media reporting and on the basis of conjectures and surmises,” it said.
Kanimozhi and Sharad Kumar are represented by lawyers V.G. Pragasam, S.J. Aristotle and Sudarshan Rajan.
The 2G spectrum scam relates to irregularities in the allocation of airwaves to telecom companies that caused huge losses to the exchequer.
- Criminal breach of trust, conspiracy charge not valid: Kanimozhi - Oct 01, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar move high court for bail (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- 2G case: Bail plea hearing of five deferred - Oct 03, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar move high court for bail - May 23, 2011
- Supreme Court rejects Kanimozhi's bail plea (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Kanimozhi's bail plea hearing deferred - Oct 01, 2011
- Kanimozhi's bail plea order after 1 p.m. - May 20, 2011
- 2G: Notice to CBI on Behura's bail plea - Nov 16, 2011
- Cineyug Films' Morani files new bail plea (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- No bail for Kanimozhi, seven others - Nov 03, 2011
- Karunanidhi to visit daughter in Tihar jail Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Court rejects Kanimozhi's plea against daily appearance - May 07, 2011
- Bail pleas of Kanimozhi, five others to be heard Friday - Nov 24, 2011
- Supreme Court rejects Kanimozhi's bail plea - Jun 20, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani's bail plea dismissed (Lead) - May 23, 2011
Tags: apex court, aristotle, bail plea, biased media, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, conjectures, conspirators, delhi high court, dmk, irregularities, move court, petitioners, rajan, saini, special judge, sudarshan, surmises, telecom companies, tv chief