2G: Process for selection of auctioneer approvedMay 1st, 2012 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) In a rush to meet the August 31 deadline set by the Supreme Court for auctioning 2G spectrum, an empowered group of ministers (EGoM) Tuesday approved the process to select an auctioneer and said that bids from stakeholders should be invited soon, a senior Department of Telecom (DoT) official said.
“EGoM has approved initiation for the process of selection of auctioneer,” DoT Secretary R. Chandrasekhar told reporters after the EGoM meeting called to discuss the telecom regulator’s recommendations for the auction as mandated by the Supreme Court.
At the meeting, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman J.S. Sarma gave a presentation on its recommendations which have been criticised by almost all the telecom players.
Among other things, the TRAI last month proposed an auction starting price that is 10-13 fold increase over what the operators had paid in 2008 and selling just 5 megahertz spectrum per zone.
TRAI was asked to give its recommendations as mandated by the Supreme Court which Feb 2 had ordered cancellation of 122 licences issued in 2008 and asked the government to re-distribute the licences through auction.
Following strong objections from the industry and sector watchers alike, the telecom commission Monday so sought more information and clarifications from the regulator on its recommendations including spectrum pricing.
- Cabinet okays Rs.14,000 crore as spectrum auction base price - Aug 03, 2012
- EGoM to recommend spectrum price, but cabinet to take call - Jul 20, 2012
- Cabinet okays Rs.14,000 crore spectrum reserve price (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Telecom Commission seeks clarity on TRAI proposals - Apr 30, 2012
- Telecom EGoM to recommend lower reserve price to cabinet for approval (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- No decision on 2G pricing, EGoM favours refarming spectrum - Jun 05, 2012
- Telecom honchos to meet Sibal - May 02, 2012
- EGoM on telecom approves spectrum mortgaging (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- EGoM to decide on spectrum pricing Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum deferred - Jun 21, 2012
- 2G spectrum base price decision deferred till Friday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- EGoM's reserve price revision still high: GSMA - Jul 21, 2012
- EGoM to take final call on pricing and refarming of spectrum - May 26, 2012
- EGoM on telecom approves spectrum mortgaging - Jul 12, 2012
- TRAI's reserve price extremely high: CII - May 06, 2012
Tags: auction, auctioneer, cancellation, chandrasekhar, clarifications, dot official, feb 2, initiation, megahertz, New Delhi, objections, rush, sarma, spectrum, supreme court, telecom commission, telecom regulator, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, trai