2G case: Raja seeks bail citing parity (Lead)May 9th, 2012 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 9 (IANS) A day before his 49th birthday, former telecom minister A. Raja Wednesday moved a bail application in a special CBI court after the Supreme Court granted bail to ex-telecom secretary Siddharth Behura in the 2G spectrum case. He has sought bail on grounds of parity.
“Except me, all the other accused have been released on bail,” Raja’s lawyer said before special judge O.P. Saini. Raja is one of the 19 individuals accused in the 2G spectrum allocation scam that has rocked the nation.
However, Raja will have to spend his 49th birthday Thursday in jail as the court has reserved its order till Friday.
Earlier, in an interview to IANS, Raja had said he was not very keen on getting out on bail as he would prefer to walk out of prison with “clean hands” in the 2G controversy.
Raja had resigned Nov 14, 2010 in the wake of the Comptroller and Auditor General reporting that his 2008 decision to allocate 2G spectrum on a first-come-first-served basis had caused the exchequer a presumptive loss of Rs.1.76 lakh crore. The CBI arrested him Feb 2, 2011.
The Supreme Court had in February this year cancelled 122 spectrum licences allocated during Raja’s tenure. It also ruled that all natural resources should be allocated through an auction, which the government is now preparing to do in the case of the cancelled licences.
Apart from the 19 individuals, six telecom companies have also been named in the scam.
- 2G case: Citing parity, Raja seeks bail (Second Lead) - May 09, 2012
- 2G case: Citing parity, Raja seeks bail (Third Lead) - May 09, 2012
- After 15 months in jail, Raja gets bail (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- After 15 months, Raja is out of jail (Roundup) - May 15, 2012
- Raja granted bail, can't visit DoT or Tamil Nadu (Fourth Lead) - May 15, 2012
- 2G case: Decision on Chandolia's bail plea Thursday (Lead) - Nov 30, 2011
- Raja gets bail, can't visit DoT or Tamil Nadu (Third Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Raja gets bail after 15 months in jail (Second Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Court reserves order on Raja's bail plea (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Raja turns 49, spends quiet birthday in Tihar - May 10, 2012
- 2G: Court allows Behura to appear before JPC - Mar 30, 2012
- 2G scam case: Chandolia gets bail (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- 2G: Companies knew date of LOIs issuance beforehand, claims witness - Mar 30, 2012
- Court allows Kanimozhi to attend budget session (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Timeline of the 2G case - Feb 04, 2012
Tags: cbi court, clean hands, comptroller, controversy, feb 2, first come first served basis, lakh, lawyer, natural resources, New Delhi, parity, raja, rs 1, saini, siddharth, special judge, spectrum allocation, spectrum licences, telecom companies, tenure